Weak, Un-Fluffy Ducklings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MagpieDucks, Mar 26, 2018.

1. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Beware of the MAN-GOOSE

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Hello all! I recently had a hatch of 12 Magpie ducklings. They all hatched over a 3 day period. The last 5 were in desperate need of assisting. 2 were at the wrong end, and 3 were not zipping. 1 of the ones that did was at the wrong end is doing great. 1 of the wrong Enders died. The 3 that didn't zip have been moved to the brooder. They have a little bit of gunk on them, and they didn't dry properly. They have been separated from the other 9 as they have a little bit of trouble getting around. I have them some sugar water which seemed to perk them up a little. I tried washing one of them up, and then blow drying it, but it just went back to the same. What should I do to help them gain strength? They are quite a bit smaller than the others, but that may be because they are younger. Is there a way to get them dry and fluffy? Sorry for the long and confusing post. Here is a picture or two.
    IMG_9913.JPG IMG_9914.JPG IMG_9916.JPG

chickens really and casportpony like this.
  2. MagpieDucks

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Anybody??

chickens really likes this.
  3. MagpieDucks

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Here is a comparison picture: IMG_9918.JPG

chickens really and casportpony like this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

I wouldn't worry about them not being fluffy. Do you have any NutriDrench?

5. MagpieDucks

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I might be able to get some tonight. Just for appearance, is there any way to get them fluffy?

casportpony likes this.
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Yes, but why do it now when they are weak? No harm in waiting a few days, right?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Def get the Nutri Drench give them tiny drops right in the bill. Give them a few days hopefully they will be good and fluffed up and ready to be with the rest.

Adorable lil ones :love

8. MagpieDucks

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Correct!

Is there anything else I can do for them, until I am able to get nutridrench?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Keep them warm and quiet. Hopefully they will hang in there till you can get the PND are you worried about losing them?

ViolinPlayer123 and casportpony like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: