Weak Year Old Male Goat

use b vitamins, red cell, probiotics, and nutri drench. Do you have any of these on hand?
When did he have his last copper bolus?
I do not have any of these on hand but am looking into getting the red cell. The only ones I see are for canines and horses. Can canine red cell be given to goats?
I believe we have some human vitamin b supplements- I’ll check the appropriate dose for goats and see if I can give him that.
Is he lying out in the rain? I would only recommend spot cleaning him with a dry brush and some warm wet rags, goats that get soaking wet will become hypothermic very quickly and that could be a massive blow to him right now.
He was in his little house most of the day- I was scared of him getting too cold and he didn’t want to be walking around much anyway. Today it was sunny out so we gently rinsed out his underside and dried him off with a towel. He’s currently sunning himself and snacking on lentils. They’re high in selenium and iron so I thought they’d help.
Please do not completely change his diet, you could be giving him a horrible case of diarrhea by doing so, goats are very sensitive.
His normal diet is mostly free range grazing- the day before yesterday he still had the strength to but yesterday and today he can’t walk without assistance so he can’t graze. As of yet his poops still look normal.

You treat the anemia by worming him. Your best bet is to collect a stool sample and have it tested for parasite load and then go from there. A fecal test should not be expensive. Ask what wormers are effective in your area. For that matter the guy at the feed store might know. Unless you have reason to suspect a copper deficiency do not give a copper bolus. Too much copper is deadly. The selenium rich foods may or may not help at this point.
We wormed him a couple days ago and I can’t say he’s recieved a copper bolus. Maybe by his previous owners. I’m more inclined to believe it’s a selenium deficiency. Speaking of which yesterday we were able to get the BoSe gel and gave him a dose. They say to give them some every 30 days but I’m not sure if the rules are different in the case of a selenium deficient goat. Maybe I just haven’t given it enough time to take effect. Right now my priority is finding a cure for the anemia.

Selenium deficiency is selenium deficiency and it doesn't matter much if it is a goat, cow, sheep, or a camel. Unless you have good reason to suspect a copper deficiency do not give a copper bolus. Who told you to give selenium every 30 days? I would double check that. He probably needs more than one dose while he is recovering though. Do see about getting a fecal run so you know whether or not your wormer is effective. I have never seen or used a BoSe gel so I know nothing about it. I always used the injectable but I can't imagine why it would matter which you used.

If he is cold you can put a sweatshirt on him. That is what we did. I am assuming that since he cannot graze he has access to hay.

Selenium deficiency is selenium deficiency and it doesn't matter much if it is a goat, cow, sheep, or a camel. Unless you have good reason to suspect a copper deficiency do not give a copper bolus. Who told you to give selenium every 30 days? I would double check that. He probably needs more than one dose while he is recovering though. Do see about getting a fecal run so you know whether or not your wormer is effective. I have never seen or used a BoSe gel so I know nothing about it. I always used the injectable but I can't imagine why it would matter which you used.
Nobody said it per se- it says on the back of the tube. It’s an edible gel. I got it in tractor supply

Attachments

• IMG_9397.png
    IMG_9397.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 4
Nobody said it per se- it says on the back of the tube. It’s an edible gel. I got it in tractor supply
It has been quite a number of years since I last had goats and used BoSe. I am not familiar with the gel form. In fact, it may not have even been available then. If the label says use every 30 days, then use it every 30 days. Hopefully your boy will start improving. I really can't think of anything else you can do.

It has been quite a number of years since I last had goats and used BoSe. I am not familiar with the gel form. In fact, it may not have even been available then. If the label says use every 30 days, then use it every 30 days. Hopefully your boy will start improving. I really can't think of anything else you can do.
I appreciate the well wishes, I’ll be heading out in a bit to see how he’s doing and let his parents and the chickens out. I’ll keep y’all posted🫶

Little photo of my dwarf prince on Friday❤️

Attachments

• IMG_9409.jpeg
    IMG_9409.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Hello,
The last couple of days my boy (with help standing up) got to stay standing and even take a few steps on his own without support. Yesterday he was doing his best in a long time turning and walking for short bits around the pen- lying down instead of just collapsing. Today he’s weak again and the anemia doesn’t seem to be getting any better. His inner eyelid is very pale. I need to know if canine red cell is safe to give to him. I know Canines are carnivores but horses are easy five times his size. I can’t find many answers on line so my last resort is to ask here

Call the manufacturer. That is what I do. Most of them have a customer help line. Look on the label. It should be listed there in fine print. Have you had a fecal run yet? They are not expensive, and they will tell you what the worm load is, if any.

I thought of two other things that could cause the weakness and anemia. Both of them are long shots. One is coccidia and the other is Johnes.

Call the manufacturer. That is what I do. Most of them have a customer help line. Look on the label. It should be listed there in fine print. Have you had a fecal run yet? They are not expensive, and they will tell you what the worm load is, if any.

I thought of two other things that could cause the weakness and anemia. Both of them are long shots. One is coccidia and the other is Johnes.
Hi I’m sorry-
We managed to find horse red cell yesterday and he took the medication no problem. His appetite was through the charts and he also drank water.

Unfortunately he didn’t make it through the night… we found that he had passed away when we went out this morning. My dad has already buried him.

I appreciate all your help and your patience with all my questions… the area where we live is pretty much barren of selenium so we’re treating our goats monthly with that and with the red cell on hand maybe we won’t have another succumb to anemia.

It’s very painful because I loved him dearly and I genuinely thought he was going to pull through yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom