Weakness/staggering/circling in ADULT birds ONLY....Marek's??

janinepeters

Songster
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
I was under the impression that Marek's disease almost always affects immature birds, and rarely adults. Very helpful to find this old thread, confirming Marek's in an older chicken:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/323724/necropsy-results-in-on-limping-chicken

Over the past 1-2 years, I have had several adult chickens develop weakness in leg or wing, or staggering, or circling. Some birds recovered after a few days, one has chronic residual, mild incoordination, and I put another one down because he could no longer eat or drink on his own. Then there was a sudden unexplained death in a previously healthy chicken. But most of the flock is unaffected.

The affected ones were all adult chickens; no pullets or cockerels have been affected. Right now I have 7 six-month old birds, all of which look healthy, while 2 of older hens are having problems with leg weakness/staggering.

Given that I've had ONLY adult birds affected, could it still be Marek's? What else could it be???

Just wondering if someone knowledgeable about Marek's disease can tell me if the symptoms I am seeing, affecting adult birds, but sparing pullets, can be due to Marek's. If not, do you have any thoughts on what it might be?

Back
Top Bottom