Weaning off brooder light

This forum is great!
smile.png

Any new thoughts on this?

I have 6 chicks in my dog kennel brooder:

They were in the kitchen for about 2 weeks. Then, I switched them the bedding to PDZ and they got too dusty. So I moved them to the garage.

I have been gradually raising the light. It is just a 60 watt bulb and now it is about to the top of the kennel. But the kennel is covered with a sheet so I think they are fairly warm.

Now, they are about 4 weeks old. My garage is about 55F. I turned the light off today. I plan on leaving it off for a few hours during the day when the garage is the warmest.

Am I doing this right? How do I get them weaned from the light?

My chicks will be 5/6 weeks by Memorial Day weekend. We are going out of town and I'm anxious about leaving the light on while we are gone. Going to have my mother in law come check their food and water. In the house they should be okay shouldn't they?

They'll only be 5/6 by then. They are 4/5 weeks now. I'll start weaning them off now though. That's a good idea so it's not such a shock.
Wean them down now, in advance.  Dial the wattage down to a 40 watt bulb and see how they do.  You've got 10 more days and by then, they'll be 7 weeks old and won't need any heat assistance at all.

They'll only be 5/6 by then. They are 4/5 weeks now. I'll start weaning them off now though. That's a good idea so it's not such a shock.
they will be okay, God willing. I put chick's outside a month ago and they were 4/5 weeks old. I made sure they had a nice insulated box (ala plastic dog crate) and turned it so the wind would be blocked. They kept each other nice and warm. By that age they are generating a bit of their own body heat so help to keep each other warm.

Started them in a transition brooder tonight with a little more room and a smaller watt bulb. Will see how they do. This also moved them from the back room to the living room. Excited about having them in the main traffic area.

Back
Top Bottom