Weapon suggestion

greenSearcher

Songster
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
Texoma
I have been raising chickens for over 2 years now, I'm still a newbie, I know. Until recently I lost only a couple birds a season due to wild predators, and that is reasonable since I let my birds forage and I normally have 30 or more chickens. I've seen bob cats, coyotes, skunks and possums since we moved here. The last month I have lost six chickens, and no longer have extra roos any more, due to a neighbors dog. He got my senior rooster, a big Speckled Sussex that was nearly 3 years old. The feather trail was heartbreaking, from my front porch to the property line. Anyway, right now I keep the hens in during the morning hours, seems the dogs are lazy and go home in the afternoon.

What I need is suggestions for a gun. I basically have no experience with them, so I know once we purchase one, I will spend hours in target practice. Since I have reached this point, I want to know I will hit my target. Two requirements: the weapon is light and it does not have a brutal kickback. I have arthritis in my shoulders, hands and wrists. I also don't want to spend $$$. I am looking for a mid priced weapon. I have all intention of killing the dogs that come on my property and threaten my chickens. The sheriff will investigate and haul off the carcass. I have no intention on trapping them, animal control won't take them if I have trapped them and at this point, the neighbors I have spoken w/ told me to kill the dogs. Oh well, I am rambling.

Thanks for your suggestions

probably 22 Long rifle, or 22 magnum. not expensive to shoot. neither has much recoil, 22LR is the least expensive to shoot, therefore you can practice with it more, the 22 Mag has more power and shoots farther with less bullet drop. 22lr < 75 yards > 22mag. not a rule, just a suggestion. any sporting goods store with hunting supplies, including-wal mart carry guns and ammo. sounds like you have already cleared this with the sherrif.

PS look up SSS = Shoot, Shovel, Shut up

A .22 is light and has almost no kickback. A well placed shot with a .22 will take down any dog; a poorly placed shot will not.

A 22 magnum rifle with iron sights will fit you. It doesn't kick, it will do the job, they will not be expensive, ammo is cheap, packs alot more punch than a regular 22 Cal. round, they are not that loud, and one well placed head shot will end your problem. Check the pawn shops in your area for price and then the gun shops. Hope this helps, and sorry it has come to this for you.

My suggestion is either a Ruger 10/22 for something easy to handle that has virtually no kick and it is lightweight. A good all around farm gun in my opinion. I have two, one without a scope for dispatching predators and one with a scope for the same thing and for hunting. I have taken deer down with my .22 and find it a lovely weapon as far as chicken eating critter controll goes. The only time I've ever seen anything run when its been shot with that gun is when the BF shot a pit in the rump for coming up to our door and growling at us. He diddn't want to kill the dog. The dog however did do a backflip and go screaming back to his owners only to be seen laying by the side of his owners driveway with a cone on his head and bandage on his butt for days.

Or a Savage .308 which is my current top choice with deer hunting. It does kick harder than the .22 But I find thats not so bad, as long as I hit something it seems to knock it down pretty good so you only have to endure a minor kick once. It also makes a LOT more noise. And topping it off it does weigh a great deal more. Mine seems front heavy to be honest. I LOVE the gun but it is a shoot it once and make darn sure you hit your target gun. It is not the gun I would recommend for shooting targets all day with. So with all the good about this gun it does have its bad points.

These are just the two I prefer to use for anything here.

Edit: By the way, I mention the .308 is heavy, of course I only weigh 110 pounds myself.
tongue.png

Last edited:
.22 rifle, fairly inexpensive, little kickback, and powerful enough to do the trick. Don't get one you have to cock every shot, one with a bolt action and autofeed will let you pop off two-three shots pretty darn quick, just in case the first one misses the pest.

22 is not really a kill em dead gun unless you make the right accurate shot. I would suggest a 17hmr. Light no kick and a very deadly bullet from within 100 yds, 50 or so on heavy wind days If you get a decent shot on em they aint gonna make it through it. Next wouldbe a 22-250 almost no kick and a very hard hitting varmit remover
smile.png

If I was gonna go with just one gun...which I could never do....for this scenario I would pick a .22 magnum.

there is virtually no difference in price of the gun...ammo will be more but the punch is so much more with the .22 magnum

that gives you a cleaner kill with one shot and the ability to shoot just a bit further

I agree that a semi-auto is the way to go...the ruger is a good gun but there are many out there...spend some time handling them

I would agree with the .22 long rifle. Pick up a Ruger 10/22.
They are very versatile and an excellent gun for a first timer.
Ammunition is pretty reasonable as compared to 5 to 6 years ago when it was dirt cheap.

Find someone who knows about shooting and shooting safety.

Google "10 commandments of gun safety" and follow them to the letter every time.

Post pics of what you get.

Quote:
The Ruger 10/22 is a great gun. The 10/22 Magnum is a greater gun. If I were defending against dogs or bobcats, the magnum is the gun of choice. I own both and the extra edge of the magnum is a natural. The magnum is slightly heavier, slightly more money, slightly more expensive to shoot, but worth every penney. Recoil is negligeable.

Now, having said that, most predators will come at night, or when you aren`t home. A trap is something that everyone that keeps chickens must have and along with a trap, a gun. Animal control is not your friend. Trap them, shoot them, and either bury them or bag them for the garbage man. Never relocate a predator, or turn them over to animal control. Chances are they will be released at the end of your driveway.

Good luck finding your Ruger 10/22 Magnum and a good trap. Merry Christmas.......Pop

Back
Top Bottom