Weasels in North Texas?

ruralroute

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Weatherford, TX
Hi,
We recently moved our chickens to a newly renovated coop. Two nights ago we found three dead with their heads torn off:( Is there any possibility a weasel is the culprit? We live just west of Ft. Worth and I've never heard of weasels around here but the attack sounds like some of the posts I've read.

The other possibility is a raccoon which may have unlatched a small window/door.

I'm learning a ton from these boards - thanks so much!

Catherine

I've never seen or heard of weasels here. Did you say that a latch was undone? Possibly a raccoon, they are crafty little things, maybe someone accidentally left the latch open and a skunk got them. Sorry for losses.

Thanks Allanah! You confirmed what I thought - no outlaw packs of weasels running around Parker County
big_smile.png

I have a dear friend that recently moved to Whitehouse, TX. She was telling me that in her neighborhood they are having a problem not with weasels, but with their cousin the ferret. Apparently someone turned some pet ferrets loose and they are thriving. What a weasel would get into is just what a ferret would like to. This is only a neighborhood-wide problem of course.

I don't know about weasels, but the old timers in Stephenville have told me it's skunks that take the heads. I lost one of my peacocks and lots of guineas like this. They waited in the tree for them to roost at night.

Back
Top Bottom