Weasels with electric netting?

bethanyjbarrette

Chirping
Aug 3, 2022
We have made our chickens a "designated free range area" so that they can free range while we aren't watching. There are DEFINITELY foxes around so this should prevent those. I'm currently brainstorming a way to deter weasels, as I'm pretty sure they could manage to get through the 2"x3" netting at the base of the fence without getting shocked. Do any of you have experience with this?

We realize that any amount of free ranging (even in a designated area) will come with some risks, but hoping to mitigate as many as possible!

Thanks in advance!!

I do know netting can get 'grounded' if it hits the actual ground. At least that's what is going on with my friends netting. Free ranging always comes with risks even if you have all the measures. Friend fixed their netting with raising it just above. They are thinking about finding a conduit to prevent the ground from essentially absorbing part of the shock. They are planning a fixed free range area though and are going to dig and create a barrier to prevent the ground from 'grounding' and absorbing the shock as of now they're thinking about using rock trim. I don't know if that helps but it's something to think about. They live in a city type area so they're limited with their area for free ranging and it's going to be a more stationary area and not as able to move around. Weasels do have a good sense of smell so you could try pungent plants like mint, citronella or hot peppers around the perimeter maybe?

I do know netting can get 'grounded' if it hits the actual ground. At least that's what is going on with my friends netting. Free ranging always comes with risks even if you have all the measures. Friend fixed their netting with raising it just above. They are thinking about finding a conduit to prevent the ground from essentially absorbing part of the shock. They are planning a fixed free range area though and are going to dig and create a barrier to prevent the ground from 'grounding' and absorbing the shock as of now they're thinking about using rock trim. I don't know if that helps but it's something to think about. They live in a city type area so they're limited with their area for free ranging and it's going to be a more stationary area and not as able to move around. Weasels do have a good sense of smell so you could try pungent plants like mint, citronella or hot peppers around the perimeter maybe?
That's a good idea regarding the plants! I'll have to try that out.

I believe the brand of electric netting I have has a bottom string that's NOT hot, to prevent that issue. However I feel like since it isn't hot, a weasel will be able to crawl over it and under the hot string above it.

It never hurts to prepare a weasel box as a precaution so it's a have and not need situation. Then the reverse need and not have. It's good it's not hot on bottom. Not sure what kind they got but they were happy with the price that's all that matters and they set it up full solar and so far for them has stayed hot at night with being raised. The predators have to get around their dog that patrols the outside perimeter fence is an added protection for the dog to stay out and not eat the chicken feed (they spoil them a tad and give food, table food and ample extra goodies) the dog likes what it can't have.

Google how to make a wood weasel box because trying to keep weasels out of anything but a predator proof fence is impossible.

Edit:
Heres a link where to buy weasel traps.Keep them baited and you won't have any weasels to worry about. https://www.pcsoutdoors.com/wooden-weasel-box.aspx
Okay, this is good to know! So just put bait in it, and then if there are weasels around they will end up there instead of in my designated free range area?

Okay, thank you! Also, I have not specifically seen weasels yet, but I assume it's only a matter of time before they come around.
I predator proofed the run and coop both for my own peace of mind.Weasels boxes are the easiest way to control them.They're too small & fast to even spot much less shoot.I'm opposed to killing anything if I can avoid it but a ^%$#! weasel is an exception.They can climb fence posts and trees very well.

I predator proofed the run and coop both for my own peace of mind.Weasels boxes are the easiest way to control them.They're too small & fast to even spot much less shoot.I'm opposed to killing anything if I can avoid it but a ^%$#! weasel is an exception.They can climb fence posts and trees very well.
I agree. I will give this a try! Our coop and run are VERY well predator proofed on all sides and in every way, but when they are outside in their electric fence it's obviously not as safe. Much safer than the whole yard, especially since our worst predator is fox, but I'll get a weasel box. I'm also setting up some additional cover and reflecty things to hopefully deter hawks. Most of their area has ample tree coverage but I know it's not fool proof.

Back
Top Bottom