Weather conditions for chicks???

LindsaySinai

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
San Diego
I live in sunny San Diego a few blocks away from the beach so there isn't a drastic change in temperature between day and night. My chicks just turned 5 weeks and yesterday I built them a run outside. It's 5ft by 3ft and half chicken wire, half plywood so they have shade. I didn't build an actual house for them like my other chicks since this is just a temporary structure til they're old enough to go with the others. The lowest the forecast is for the temperature at night is 63...do I still need them under a heat lamp. I put one in there last night but I'm not sure if it was necessary and don't want extension cords throughout my yard unless needed.

I normally reduce the heat requirement by 5 degrees each week until it reaches the ambient temperature. Five weeks, 25 degree reduction from 95 equals 70. Probably close enough. If you wanted you could use a cardboard box as a temporary house. That way the huddled birds in the small enclosed area would generate enough body heat to make up for the deficit.

Quote:
Someone told me that if they're cold and huddle together that they've been know to sit on each others faces and smother one another and it made me paranoid. Is that only for ne born chicks or is that not at all?

NO, They won;t smoother each other...mine sleep together in a pile like kittens, It makes it hard to count them, sometimes they might sqwak alittle when somebody steps on somebody elses face, but they just jump to the top of the pile

Someone told me that if they're cold and huddle together that they've been know to sit on each others faces and smother one another

Nope, never heard that one before. I'd check out anything that person told me very carefully!

wink.png

Quote:
Nope, never heard that one before. I'd check out anything that person told me very carefully!

wink.png

Chicks normally huddle some. Yes, if they are too cold they can huddle so that some will die. I don't know that I would have said 'sit on each others faces.' lol. I don't talk like that.

But yes, they can smother one another. The information you were give was CORRECT.

It is not uncommon for chickens, particularily birds without a roost, to crowd into a corner during severe thunderstorms resulting in smaller birds being crushed.

Quote:
just checking on you and your chicks, I know you are in San Diego like me, and we've been getting some really abnormal weather. I had a coop built, and a pen for the younger chicks during the day. Opened the pen big enough for them to go in and out, without the bigger girls being able to fit through, then covered the wire enforced roof of the pen with tarp, then built a temporary overhang so that they could go outside and still remain dry without getting confused if they couldn't get to the coop or trees/bushes. Tossed in their fav treats to give them an idea, and it worked. Every once in a while one or two wants to go play in the rain, but geeze, it feels like the South, humid, raining, 79 degrees. Rain probably feels refressing to them!

Quote:
just checking on you and your chicks, I know you are in San Diego like me, and we've been getting some really abnormal weather. I had a coop built, and a pen for the younger chicks during the day. Opened the pen big enough for them to go in and out, without the bigger girls being able to fit through, then covered the wire enforced roof of the pen with tarp, then built a temporary overhang so that they could go outside and still remain dry without getting confused if they couldn't get to the coop or trees/bushes. Tossed in their fav treats to give them an idea, and it worked. Every once in a while one or two wants to go play in the rain, but geeze, it feels like the South, humid, raining, 79 degrees. Rain probably feels refressing to them!

The weather is crazy but they seem to like it. Half of the coop is covered with a roof and I even threw in a box big enough for all of them to squeeze into but I went out there in the middle of the night when it was sprinkling and they were all happy to be sleeping next to each other in the one area that wasn't covered. What kind of treats do you give them? The only thing I found that my hens like is figs and lettuce...they wont tuch anything else. I haven't tried giving the chicks anything yet.
Here they are in their temporary home...
96519_img_20110906_134504.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Someone told me that if they're cold and huddle together that they've been know to sit on each others faces and smother one another and it made me paranoid. Is that only for new born chicks or is that not at all?

Turkeys are well known for smothering each other when they crowd together for warmth but usually not chicks. Occasionally I have had it happen but not to often.

Back
Top Bottom