Weatherproofing the coop with sealant?

JenLiz

Songster
Feb 21, 2018
Brandon, Florida
Do you guys use any sort of sealant to weatherproof your wooden coop/run? Ours is almost ready for the chicks to move in next week, I want to do some painting, but I was also wondering if I should get some of that water seal stuff too? Here in FL the summers are SO rainy and want my coop and run to last as long as possible. Here are pictures, I still need to paint the bench and those two mailbox posts that I’m going to put flower pots on. I’m excited that it’s almost time for them to be out there full time, they love having ‘field trips’ there during the day.
2D990926-920E-4F50-8854-589E445D7BED.jpeg

8C0785C0-BE54-4BDB-B1AE-A3A2C6F6737A.jpeg

3D142632-12C1-4EA7-8A36-7A6E269A0BF5.jpeg

I did extensive sealing inside/outside my wood coop with silicone caulk/sealant for three reasons. One of them was freezing conditions, which you probably don't have to deal with :)

Another was elimination of drafts around the roosting and nesting areas where sheathing didn't quite meet up.

But the main reason for the sealing was to eliminate any nooks and crannies inside the coop where lice and mites could take shelter. Others had suggested painting, but I didn't want to buy and maintain the paint. It took a full day of work and I think three tubes of caulk to do my 4x8 (by 6 ft high) coop. Fun times! :p

Last edited:
May i ask where you bought your coop and how high it is? I currently bought a 3 foot high omnicoop for here in New York but think it being so low this may be a problem. Yours is beautiful

Back
Top Bottom