Weaving, looks drunk, off balance = molting!

Biologrady

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2012
I'm not super-experienced with chickens, having had them on grandma's farm as a kid and I have had my current flock for about 4 years now. A few weeks back they went through a really dramatic molt (one lost pretty much every feather at once) and two hens started acting really squirrelly. One seemed to act like she had an ear or crop problem: when she would put head down to eat she would suddenly scoot backwards, dragging her chin along the ground. The other was worse, walking like a drunken sailor most of the time, crouching and weaving instead of walking straight. I thought maybe a balance, vision or muscle problem, but did notice she would make a beeline for the food pan or if being chased. Research and advice was mostly doom and gloom, ranging from horrible diseases to vitamin deficiencies. However a few hopeful items, mostly from old-school farmers, just said wait it out, it goes away when molting stops... And it absolutely did!
I found it hard to believe, but I guess the pain/discomfort of the pincushion phase was behind the odd gait. I guess being vitamin deficient as all that energy is going into feather making is possible too, but our chickens are fed better than us, get a higher protein diet while molting, and free range most days. Anyway, I was very glad that I didn't do anything drastic; the behaviors lasted about 7 to 10 days, in case anyone else that might also have chickens looking drunk or crazy finds this post.

Yeah, molt is crazy hard on chickens. I always cross my fingers after a molt until they come back into lay because every single time I have a reproductive issue pop up it is always after a hard molt.

Glad to hear your girls have returned to normalcy. I bet they look great in their new coats.

Thank you so much for posting this information! This happened to one of our chickens today and it was very alarming. You have eased my mind.

I'm not super-experienced with chickens, having had them on grandma's farm as a kid and I have had my current flock for about 4 years now. A few weeks back they went through a really dramatic molt (one lost pretty much every feather at once) and two hens started acting really squirrelly. One seemed to act like she had an ear or crop problem: when she would put head down to eat she would suddenly scoot backwards, dragging her chin along the ground. The other was worse, walking like a drunken sailor most of the time, crouching and weaving instead of walking straight. I thought maybe a balance, vision or muscle problem, but did notice she would make a beeline for the food pan or if being chased. Research and advice was mostly doom and gloom, ranging from horrible diseases to vitamin deficiencies. However a few hopeful items, mostly from old-school farmers, just said wait it out, it goes away when molting stops... And it absolutely did!
I found it hard to believe, but I guess the pain/discomfort of the pincushion phase was behind the odd gait. I guess being vitamin deficient as all that energy is going into feather making is possible too, but our chickens are fed better than us, get a higher protein diet while molting, and free range most days. Anyway, I was very glad that I didn't do anything drastic; the behaviors lasted about 7 to 10 days, in case anyone else that might also have chickens looking drunk or crazy finds this post.

Much appreciated. I was getting worried about my hen that is experiencing EXACTLY what you described. Thanks again.

Much appreciated. I was getting worried about my hen that is experiencing EXACTLY what you described. Thanks again.
Great post!! Thank you. I have several 16 month olds going through first major molt and have one of them behaving the same drunken way. Hopefully next week she will be on the mend. I have separated her as they will peck her to death for sure, especially acting injured as such. Was ready to put her down thinking she had a disease.

Back
Top Bottom