web toes on chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joymac, Oct 30, 2011.

1. joymac

joymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    I've been a chicken owner for a whole week now and just noticed a problem on one of my younger chicks (and one of my favs, wouldn't you know?). I thought this chick had poop on her foot and it needed to be cleaned off so I cleaned the feet with warm wet cotton balls. But instead of poop it seems that her toes are fused, like web feet. I know my photos are poor, will try to get more later. She is a blue Maran chick, about a month old, very sweet and curious.

Is there anything I can do for her? Will it impair her now and as an adult? I won't be breeding at all, just getting eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. meadowfarm6

meadowfarm6 New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    I have had chickens for 18 years now and, no, I haven't seen this before. Is she walking ok now?

3. joymac

joymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    She's walking fine. Thanks Metalsmitten for the link. I'm going to keep an eye on her and see how it goes before deciding to cut the toes apart.

4. meadowfarm6

meadowfarm6 New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    That was a good link. I was going to say, if she's walking fine, leave it alone, if not cut the webbing. Good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by