1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Website - how to???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by justuschickens59, Dec 10, 2010.

1. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Okay, so I want to make a website for our farm, but I have absolutely NO idea where to begin. I do know that I have to have a domain name (I know what I want it to be) but I have no idea where to buy this. I also know that I need a web host, but no idea which to use. I don't want one that has all those tacky ads all over it. I don't mind to pay for it - just not an astronomical amount.

I'm not real computer savvy. I know how to do some things on a computer like upload pictures, etc., but I'm definitely NOT a computer guru.

So....can anybody tell me where to buy a domain name, which web host to use that is easy to use, and any other helpful information? I'ive thought about paying somebody to actually build the site, but then I'd like to be able to make the changes, add new pictures, etc. myself. Is that something that is possible? Paying somebody a ONE TIME fee to set up the site and then let me take over?

Thanks !!!

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Try messing around with a free website service first to get the hang of things. We use www.webs.com. It's really easy to use and they offer an upgraded service if you like it.

3. justuschickens59

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks Kandace - is that where you buy your domain name as well?

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    You can absolutely pay someone a one time fee to set it up for you and then you take over.

If you go it alone -- or even if you don't. I recommend bluehost.com + wordpress.com + diythemes.com. You're going to drop a little over $300 up front on the hosting and the theme, but it will be the easiest thing for you to manipulate yourself once it's set up.

5. justuschickens59

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks Olive Hill - any suggestion of how/where to find somebody to set one up?

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I use dyndns.org to register my domain. They are not the cheapest but they are setup so I can host my website at home even with my changing IP address.

I run an Apache web server because its free an easy to install an run. I also do some higher end stuff (server side add) that would be hard to do using a paid host.

I build my website with http://kompozer.net/ because its free an works pretty good.

You can go to any website you like an take there basic layout code then just change the words an pictures to be your own.

Kompozer is worth playing with to learn even if you pay someone else to actually build for you.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I believe if you are just starting out practice on a free site or a blog first.

I see quite a few using the Blogspot sites and stuff and managing to sell what they need through there... and even expanding to free fan pages on facebook and such.

Its just an idea to save you $$$. [​IMG]

8. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Hey,

If you don't mind paying a bit for hosting try http://hostgator.com i use them. I am paying about 120.00 a year so i can host unlimited domains. But the "Hatchling" plan is about 85.00 per year (if you pay per year, it's a bit more to pay per month).

Also, if you decide to Go with a hostgator or any hosting company let me know, i could set you up with a Site and A CMS (content management system) at no cost. Here are a few of the sites i have done (one for me, and the other for my sister) http://silvervalleypoultry.ca and my sisters X-mas gift: http://claires-cakes.ca/ i make websites for Fun [​IMG]

And when you buy a domain name you can make Emails. like "[email protected]" or .ca or .org or some thing like that.

9. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    Quote:Tut tut. Bad rebelcowboysnb, bad. [​IMG]

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by