Weed killer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 2dancingrats, Jun 6, 2011.

1. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    We may need to resort to using some weed killer. How long after it dries do we need to keep our chickens away from the area?

2. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Read the directions on the weed killer should tell you how long for pets. I would personally try to avoid it if at all possible.

3. jadekat

jadekat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2010
    Nevada
    My DH found a pet safe weed killer recipe online. It's 1 gallon of vinegar, 1 cup of salt, and 1 teaspoon of dishsoap. Mix together and put in a spray bottle. It works pretty well.

4. bluebird

bluebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    I use plain white vinegar. Pour in a sprinkler can and pour it wherever you have weeds. Works great! you will have to re-apply it several times thruout the summer but that's ok...it's cheap enough. Be careful around flowers, it will kill hem too. [​IMG]

5. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Quote:Hah! Thanks for the tip. I was wanting to kill the weeds around the boxes in our raised bed garden. But I didn't want to use chemicals that could get in the veggies.

6. 2dancingrats

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Boiling water works great for some weeds. Just hard to use in a large area.
    Pour some on a dandelion and it'll melt like the Wicked Witch of the West.

Thanks for the excellent vinegar tip. I already use it to clean house, freshen laundry and boost my dishwasher (when I use it). So glad to learn of another applicatiion.

7. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Had a customer tell me today she uses vinegar and black plastic. Sprays it the covers it. On hot days works like a charm she said.

8. 2dancingrats

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Quote:I'd be careful about "salting the earth". You must want something to be able to grow there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by