Weeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ni22, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ni22

ni22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    We have a strip of ground bordering our property that is about 5 feet wide and 300 feet long that goes crazy with weeds every year. Got to thinking that maybe I could build a chicken tractor and use the chickens to help control it but I am wondering if anyone can give me any tips, i.e., lightweight chicken tractor ideas- kind of thinking I need something flexible because the ground is not very level, any weeds that I should watch out for that could make them sick, any other tips that I don't know I need! I would not be keeping them in it full time, they have a coop and run that is much larger and on another area of the property but I want to get them out daily when possible because the run has no vegetation in it. This would be a daytime chore for them- if you could call it a chore for a chicken but it sure has been for me!

Another note: this property is bordering a property with many many, (read dozens of) ferral cats, do you think ferral cats would attempt to attack a group of full grown orpingtons? I plan to make the chicken tractor tough enough that they can't just reach over and attack them and my dog is trained to remind kitty cats not to come over here so I know she will run any off but I still worry about this- that is one reason I am hesitant to free range. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I'm not sure if this would work with all the feral cats problem, but instead of chicken tractors we use electro-web portable electric fencing to create pasture spaces for our chickens. Once you train them to it, they stay put inside the fenced area, and it works to keep most predators out at the same time.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    The chickens should love the weeds. Cats and a flock of grown Buffs. It seems to be that the Buffs would have the upper hand. They should be safe in a tractor.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by