Week 2 of chicken adventure....WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY?

Kiwiheather

Chirping
12 Years
Aug 20, 2011
Hi I rescued these babies two weeks ago, and I have NO experience whatsoever! I am dying to know what they are! They are growing so fast and developing quite the personalities! Please, BYC Peeps, give me your best guess~~~~breed? Age? Gender? Anyone?
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

104244_two.jpg

104244_three.jpg

104244_one.jpg

104244_four.jpg

THANK YOU FOR LOOKING and any insight!!!!
wink.png

I wish the pics were bigger but I'm going to guess at cochins. I'm assuming the leg feathering goes all the way around the leg (cochin) and is not just on the outside (brahma, cuz they don't look like baby brahmas to me). Sorry I can't guess at what color by those pics. I can take a shot and say you have one pullet (hen) and one cockerel (roo). Do they have single combs (cochin) or combs that at that age would look like a row of peas (brahma)?

Last edited:
P.S. IMO, you want to get them off of that wire asap and onto some shavings. Wire flooring is said to be detrimental to feather footed and/or heavy breeds; plus they like to dustbathe and you can't dusbathe on wire.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks so much, they have a single comb with feathers all around. I am hoping it's at least one hen! The current pen they are in is an old rabbit hutch with 1/2 wood and 1/2 wire. I have hay and shredded paper in the wood covered part. It is only temporary until I can build a proper coop out side within the next few weeks
smile.png
. I looked at the Cochin pics and its hard to believe they will grow into that! Lol. Also, they are tan and black, do they change colors when they get older? I didn't see any light tan ones in the photos of adults. Thank you for the help and advice!

Quote:
Thanks so much, they have a single comb with feathers all around. I am hoping it's at least one hen! The current pen they are in is an old rabbit hutch with 1/2 wood and 1/2 wire. I have hay and shredded paper in the wood covered part. It is only temporary until I can build a proper coop out side within the next few weeks
smile.png
. I looked at the Cochin pics and its hard to believe they will grow into that! Lol. Also, they are tan and black, do they change colors when they get older? I didn't see any light tan ones in the photos of adults. Thank you for the help and advice!

You'll find some more cochin pics here:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cochins/BRKCochinStd.html

They come in a good variety of colors and you can get chicks from a mixed breeding of those colors. I have some bantam cochin eggs in the incubator and under a broody hen right now, silver laced and mille fleur cochins (the bantam cochins are called pekins in some countries). It's really hard to tell color on yours.

I only say one cockerel and one pullet because in the pics one's comb looks much larger and pinker than the other. Also the stance of the dark bird looks roo-ish.

It's hard to tell from the pics. It looks like you posted them as thumbnails rather than images. It also helps to resize the photo for message boards. They could be Cochins or, if they are bantams, they could be D'Uccles. Larger pics would help with that determination.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom