Week by Week: What to feed ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by acceabex, May 4, 2017.

1. acceabex

acceabex New Egg

May 2, 2017
    Hi All,

Complete newbie question, I apologize for the remedial nature. Google has been failing me. I've searched everything I can find and cannot come up with a consensus or complete answer... What can ducklings eat week by week?

I have 5 ducklings, 1.5-2 weeks old. They are on flock raiser after much reading and lack of consensus, but with some brewers yeast because of anecdotal reports that it still may not be enough niacin (is too much niacin a thing?)... Felt like a game time decision!

Then I read that eggs are great for them, so they get scrambled eggs and a short bath every morning. They are way too excited for bath time (ridiculously cute)... But I just read they shouldn't get any food besides the starter until they have had grit... But the grit says not to feed until 2 weeks... Then I see people feeding grit as early as 4 days...

You begin to see my confusion! These guys are pets and have already been given names by my kid, I don't want to mess it up!

I'm assuming the take away is that I need to stop stressing and ducks are ridiculously hardy... But if someone could walk me through their duckling feeding regimen, I would be super appreciative!

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I've searched and can't find it.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You never supplied your location....?...I am in Canada so I can get Duckling feed and Adult Duck feed...

Best wishes...

3. Messica

Messica Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Minnesota
    This is my first go 'round with ducks, but my plan is:

Chick/duckling starter - opinions vary feeding from hatch to 2ish weeks old (21-22% protein)
    Chick/duckling grower - 2ish weeks old through to first egg (16-18% protein). If you don't have access to grower feed you can continue to use the starter but cut it with oats (not instant) to lower the protein level.
    Layer feed - switch whenever they start laying.
    Maintenance feed - if you have all four seasons and they stop laying during winter or through molt.

I have been supplementing with niacin in the form of brewers yeast and plan to through to them starting to lay. I've read powdered supplements can "sink" to the bottom if you're mixing large batches you won't use quickly, so I've been mixing daily. Don't use any labeled "flush free."

Some people say don't feed medicated starters, others say it doesn't matter. I personally have gone with non-medicated.

If you offer any kind of food or treats outside of the crumbles/pellets make sure you also have chick grit available.

4. acceabex

acceabex New Egg

May 2, 2017

Thank you, this is so helpful!

Thank you for responding. Not sure how to supply a location (new here), but I'm in the US, and the closest I can get is flock raiser... But truly what I'm looking for is the acceptable age to start grit, food, etc... as there doesn't appear to be a source that enumerates this (what Messica provided gives me a solid idea, though)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by