Week old chick injury

Chickenheadmate

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Mansfield, TX
Not sure what happened, but this is the smallest chick and one of the two mommas seems to bully him/her.
Could it be a pecking wound?
I saw a little bit of what seemed like coagulated blood spot. What can I do to help this chick?

Attachments

• E8BCFC8F-1BC3-4E01-8FF7-61D32C4ADD02.png
    E8BCFC8F-1BC3-4E01-8FF7-61D32C4ADD02.png
    2 MB · Views: 26
Not sure what happened, but this is the smallest chick and one of the two mommas seems to bully him/her.
Could it be a pecking wound?
I saw a little bit of what seemed like coagulated blood spot. What can I do to help this chick?
It could be from pecking.

I'd clean the areas with saline or chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Do you have 2 broody hens with chicks in the same area?

Yes. They are good with all of the chicks, but I notice this one hiding from one of them since she picks on it

this is the smallest chick and one of the two mommas seems to bully him/her.
Doesn't sound like they are good with all the chicks.

I'd separate broodies with chicks. I've found that's best until chicks are about 3-4 weeks of age, then broodies are a bit more relaxed about letting other chicks and Mamas around one another.

Well, I came home today, chick didn’t have a head anymore. :hit
do you think it’s possibly ants ate it off in a day?
Also, this one chick was actually the one that was all black, mostly, and by far the smallest.
Other were black and white, or mostly yellow. Almost like this one didn’t fit in as far as looks go. Could this have been a trigger?

Back
Top Bottom