week old chick lethargic, head tilt, and falling

74karina

Hatching
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Hello, I am a brand new chick owner. My week old Buff Orpington pullet is behaving strangely. When I got home from work (my first day away from them) I found her laying with her head twisted. She struggled to stand up and continues to hold her head with her right eye facing up at the ceiling. She falls if any of the other chicks bump into her and stumbles when she walks. I picked her up and she made only feeble peeps, but I saw no visible injuries or bugs. She has pooped recently. I placed her near her food and she is attempting to eat, but falls asleep with her head in the food and then she falls over. At one point I saw her fall to her side and twitch a few times. I was unable to get her to drink, but didn't really force it since I fear a head/ neck injury. All the other chicks are energetic, eating, and peeping normally. Please help! She is with 5 other chicks in a brooder with continuous food and water and it is about 90 degrees.

I now this is an old post but did you ever find out what was wrong with your lethargic chick that was twitching and did it live? My 1 week old chick is acting the same exact way :(

The chick died. I am thinking that because it was so small, a runt, maybe the Mereks vaccine and coccidiosis vaccine was too much for it. Probably damaged its nervous system. It was half the size of the other chicks and all were same age. It was so cute. Its now
D.gif
in chicken heaven.

Back
Top Bottom