Week old chick limping

DaisyG2317

Crowing
Jul 14, 2020
🌷🌷🌷
Have been dealing with a timid broody hen who cannot/will not defend week old babies from my other hens. Bully hen went after a chick and its now limping and holding it's leg. It can hop around but prefers to lay down. I can stretch its leg out but the toes feel like dead weight and floppy. I am unsure if it is slipped tendon.

Please advise.

Can you separate the broody?
Some are not able to defend chicks, especially if they weren't that high in the pecking order to begin with.

Place them where they can be safe, but see the flock.

Photos of the chick's legs would be good - joints, how it stands if possible, etc.

Can you separate the broody?
Some are not able to defend chicks, especially if they weren't that high in the pecking order to begin with.

Place them where they can be safe, but see the flock.

Photos of the chick's legs would be good - joints, how it stands if possible, etc.
She was separated for a week for look but dont touch viewing and i thought today would be ok to let them all free range together. Bully hen came from way far away to get chick. We moved broody completely out to my prefab coop today after incident.

I will try and get a photo of her if I can tonight. How can i tell if its a slipped tendon? I looked online and it seemed like that wasnt it but im still unclear about it.

If it's slipped tendon, you should be able to feel it out of place. Compare the joint of the "good leg" to the hurt one.

Sometimes chicks can get hurt when a broody fights off another hen too. Chicks get underfoot.

The inside of the leg looks bruised to me. I noticed she put what seemed like a little more weight on it today. Still unsure if its a slipped tendon 20210919_084309.jpg 20210919_084314.jpg 20210919_084319.jpg 20210919_084451.jpg 20210919_084309.jpg 20210919_084314.jpg 20210919_084319.jpg 20210919_084451.jpg 20210919_084444.jpg

Cute little thing!

If it's bruised, then it will take some time to heal. If it's slipped, then you should be able to feel it slipped out.
You may want to give her a few days to see if she gets better on her own if she's putting a little more weight on it.

Cute little thing!

If it's bruised, then it will take some time to heal. If it's slipped, then you should be able to feel it slipped out.
You may want to give her a few days to see if she gets better on her own if she's putting a little more weight on it.
My husband named her Farrah because she's blonde, lol.

She was more active today and not laying down as much so I am hoping she's just a little banged up from her run-in with our resident bully.

Back
Top Bottom