Week old chick with diahrea and sticking to backside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by davidjulie777, Mar 14, 2008.

1. davidjulie777

davidjulie777 New Egg

Mar 12, 2008
    I am feeding as prescribed from the feed store. Any tips on removing the dried poop from the back side?

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Warm water and then some olive oil or the like, on the butt to keep anything else from sticking. Give the chick some yogurt to stabilize the digestive system.

3. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    We got some damp warm kitchen roll and a cotton bud, and when the poop was wet it kinda peeled right off. It never happened again, either...little guy wasn't too happy about it though [​IMG]

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I thought I would post on this as I read so very often about chickies with poopy/pasty vents...
    I have never once had this and I am wondering if my giving them yogurt from day one (free choice) has anything to do with this...

5. amaliayosa

amaliayosa Chillin' With My Peeps

How much yogurt do you give them? Do you mix it in with their feed?
    Amy

6. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    I have 5 3-week old chicks, and give them a tablespoon a day to share. Just got 3 day old leghorns, they will start with a teaspoon. Oh, and take out the container after about an hour or two.

7. amaliayosa

Thanks, I have a few week old chicks with diarrhea, think I will try that.
    Thanks
    Amy

8. amaliayosa

Ok, sorry if I sound ignorrant, but I just put a little dish of about 2 tbls yogurt in the brooder for my 20 chicks. One ran right through it and then into the feed! her little feet were coated with feed lol, I took her out and wiped them off not wanting the others to eat the tasty treat off of her feet.
    Any suggestions? Can you tell i'm a newby LOL

9. fleenorfarmmom

fleenorfarmmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2008
    Blountville, Tn
    After reading about yogurt on here I decided to try it. Hilarious. Had to take a shower when I was done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by