Week old chick with diahrea and sticking to backside

davidjulie777

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
I am feeding as prescribed from the feed store. Any tips on removing the dried poop from the back side?

kstaven

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
BC, Washington Border
Warm water and then some olive oil or the like, on the butt to keep anything else from sticking. Give the chick some yogurt to stabilize the digestive system.

Red

Songster
12 Years
Mar 17, 2007
We got some damp warm kitchen roll and a cotton bud, and when the poop was wet it kinda peeled right off. It never happened again, either...little guy wasn't too happy about it though

dlhunicorn

Human Encyclopedia
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
I thought I would post on this as I read so very often about chickies with poopy/pasty vents...
I have never once had this and I am wondering if my giving them yogurt from day one (free choice) has anything to do with this...

chcknrs

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
Kelso, WA
I have 5 3-week old chicks, and give them a tablespoon a day to share. Just got 3 day old leghorns, they will start with a teaspoon. Oh, and take out the container after about an hour or two.

amaliayosa

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Blue Ridge Mountains, NC
Ok, sorry if I sound ignorrant, but I just put a little dish of about 2 tbls yogurt in the brooder for my 20 chicks. One ran right through it and then into the feed! her little feet were coated with feed lol, I took her out and wiped them off not wanting the others to eat the tasty treat off of her feet.
Any suggestions? Can you tell i'm a newby LOL

Top Bottom