Week old chick with possible impacted crop? Help!

La Granja Boricua

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2021
Bellevue, NE
Hi there,

I am new to chicken keeping and these are my first chicks. Our Midnight Majesty Maran has been having some troubles and I am wondering if it could be impacted crop.

Backstory: This Maran was from Hoover's Hatchery in Iowa and we purchased her from Bomgaars (a farm/tractor supply store in Iowa). She was purchased the same day as 5 of our other chicks but she is the only Maran. She is about 1 week old now.

Info on the Maran:
- 1 week old
- Only Maran among 6 other chicks (Barred Rock, Starlight Green Egger, Sapphire Olive Egger, White Brahma, Sapphire Gem, Prairie Blue Bell)
- When we picked her, she was slightly smaller than the rest of the Marans in the bunch
- I noticed she had a small little bald spot on either side of her neck, right around her esophagus/crop area. She had a small bald spot on the left side of her neck as well but it was significantly less noticeable than the one on the right side. (I didn't think much of this as I had read they could have pecked at each other a bit in transit or even thought that perhaps her down hadn't fully grown in yet.)
- She is very active, very friendly, she always is the first to jump on my hands when I check on them in the brooder. She eats and poops like the rest of them do.
- She is slightly smaller than the rest of the chicks (she was always slightly smaller), but she is developing at the same rate as the others. Her wing and tail feathers are coming in nicely.

Feed Info:
- We feed them Nutrena Starter Grower (18%)
- Their water is mixed with Rooster Booster's Vitamin and Electrolytes with Lacto Bacillus.

Problem:
- Her bald spot and slightly inflamed crop area seem to be constant.

After further inspection of the rest of our girls, some have crops of the same size, but a bit softer and some have crops that are smaller but just as hard (if not harder). We gave them some coconut oil to peck at. I'll report back with an update tomorrow morning.

I will attach some pictures now.

Maran 1.jpg

This is the right side of our Midnight Majesty Maran.

Maran 3.jpg

As you can see, she has these bald spots in either side of her neck.

Maran 4.jpg

The picture above is of the left side, She is not bleeding even though it looks a bit red.

Maran 2.jpg

Another view of the right side.

Easter 1.jpg

The picture above is our Starlight Green Egger. Her crop is about the same firmness as the Maran but it's slightly smaller.

Easter 2.jpg

Again, the Starlight Green Egger is pictured above and her crop is about the same size (she is slightly bigger than the Maran in size).

Maran 5.jpg

This is a picture of her poop. It seems only slightly drier than the Starlight Green Egger's poop.

Thanks in advance for any help of information you can give! We know that there is a chance that not all of our chicks will make it, but we want to give them the best fighting chance.

Back
Top Bottom