Week old chicks, a few have diarrhea... Causes?

chickencoop31320

Have bator, will hatch
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
Southeast Georgia
I'm new to BYC and have a question about chicks with diarrhea.
I ordered 26 silkie chicks from Ideal Poultry, they all arrived alive and seemed healthy last Thursday morning.
My husband and I had constructed a 3.5' x 5' brooder with a wire bottom and lined it with old bed sheets to protect their feet when they first arrived. After a couple days, we noticed some were eating the droppings and they were getting diarrhea. We were changing the sheets several times a day, but as ya'll know, chicks poo A LOT and there was no way to totally prevent the droppings from being eaten. On Sunday we removed the sheets to let the poo fall through the wire bottom. I hoped this would stop the behavior and clear up the diarrhea. So far most of the chicks are over it, but there are still a few that have watery poo. They aren't getting pasty butt or anything and other wise seem happy & healthy. Should I be concerned about it or just let it run its course?
The chicks were vacinated for mericks disease at the hatchery and are on medicated chick starter. I clean their two 32 ounce waterers 3-4 times a day, they have a large 30 hole metal feeder - I clean/fill it once a day, the temp inside the booder is at about 90 all the time, they are away from all the doors and windows in the house, no drafts that can tell.
Any suggestions?

Hi chickencoop and welcome to BYC.
Is the loose stools all the time or just every once in awhile?
Because of the way their digestive system is designed chickens will have what's called a cecal stool every once in awhile; it's runny and looks like melted chocolate
sickbyc.gif
and it's normal.
Here's a link that has pics of the different poos, what's normal and what's not:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17568

Hope that helps!

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. So, either they are sick or they are not. If they are otherwise playful & active, don't worry too much. (I know, easy to say, hard to do!)

gritsar...........

What a fabulous link! I've never seen it before and now I have it bookmarked for future reference.

What lovely pics!
roll.png

Thanks for the link.

Ma

P.S. A warm welcome to BYC chickencoop, and to the absolutely fabulous world of everything chicken!
smile.png

Gritstar,
Thanks for the link, it was very umm... Educational (in a slightly gross way) LOL.
We have 26 silkie chicks, 13 blue and 13 white. A couple of each color stand out do to markings or higher crests... But it's really hard to tell which ones are doing what at any given time. I have witnessed some of each color having a watery/frothy squirt here and there. I think it looks most like the ceacal poos in the pictures. I guess I should take a breath and try not to worry so much... They're just so cute n little and I don't want anything bad to happen to them (plus my human kids would cry their eyes out if even one died).
Thanks again.

I second that, "lovely pics" .....I was eating at the time and even though I have a stomach of steel, the pics made me want to stop lookin' at them.
But, thanks for the poo-picks....very helpful, gritsar :)

Hay... Hope ur day is going good ...i just got 8 chicks from tractor supply and they got bad diarrhea. Can i give them Pcn? ( im a RN and can estimate good) ive got DE in their medicated food and electrolytes in their waters thank u so much... Suzan

Back
Top Bottom