@ week old ducklings ran out of water overnight but still had access to food....

KMC1234

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Hi, can I have some advice please. I have some 2 week old ducklings and overnight their drinker ran dry. I don't know how that happed because it was full when i went to bed, but anyway they still had their food down. Now i am worried that when i give them the water again they will get ill because they will have eaten lots of food that will swell and cause them problems. is there anything i can do to prevent any problems. Thanks

It's been long enough since you posted that you must have decided something--what did you do, and did it work OK?

At least with chickens, they quit eating when they're thirsty, so it's mostly not a problem. (Supply water again, and the drink, then rush to the feeder.) I'm not sure if ducks do the same thing or not--if this happens again, you could try feeling their crops to see if they feel full.

Hi, can I have some advice please. I have some 2 week old ducklings and overnight their drinker ran dry. I don't know how that happed because it was full when i went to bed, but anyway they still had their food down. Now i am worried that when i give them the water again they will get ill because they will have eaten lots of food that will swell and cause them problems. is there anything i can do to prevent any problems. Thanks

Ducklings don't need food/water at night, they will eat/drink if the room is lit up, I choose not too since its more natural, the problem is when there is feed, but no water. Ducks can easily choke when they don't have water to get the feed down with, especially with powdery feeds. Set the waterer and feed back in with the ducklings.

I have always feed an watered my duckling chicks and gosling around the clock when they are younger than 5 weeks and in the brooder. Once they are out in the coop no more water and food over night.

My ducks played in the water and went through it alot. I raised 2 Khaki Campbells with 4 chicks last year and every morning they would be out of water. I just checked twice or more a day and they turned out fine. I have one of their eggs hatching this very moment in my brothers incubator and maybe 1 more. PS ducks make a mess with the water.

Back
Top Bottom