Weekend coop building extravaganza

Nuzzy

Songster
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Allegan, MI
With our chicks growing daily, no time like the present to build a coop. We're new to chickens, but my researching here has given me a lot of insight! My Saturday started at 6:45 am by making a fire to heat the home, making a loaf of bread, and cooking some french toast, eggs, and bacon with coffee in a hearts mug.

DSC08272Medium.jpg

Then it was out to the garage to weld up my foundation legs. The idea is for these to tether the coop to the ground during windstorms.

DSC08273Medium.jpg

Yards were meant to be parked in.
big_smile.png

DSC08274Medium.jpg

Foundation squared up and ready to be dropped into place.

DSC08276Medium.jpg

Basic 2x4 wall construction for the front and back. This is the 6' back wall ready to go.

DSC08278Medium.jpg

My supervisors

DSC08280Medium.jpg

About 11am, my cavalry showed up. My bro and our friend.

DSC08281Medium.jpg

Doing some figurin'

DSC08285Medium.jpg

Now things are rolling along!

DSC08286Medium.jpg

Best sawhorse ever: my trailer. I was also pretty stoked that I finally taught myself how to use both a speed and framing square!

DSC08298Medium.jpg

Naked.

DSC08300Medium.jpg

Clothed. Did all the siding myself since my cavalry had stuff to do and left.

DSC08303Medium.jpg

All closed in and roof on.

DSC08320Medium.jpg

As it sits now.

DSC08310Medium.jpg

Still have to cut out two side windows and the pop door. Make shingled awnings for the windows. Felt and shingle the roof, and make all my inner accessories. Caulk all seems, and paint. But all in all, I'm pleased with the amount done today. We'll be using the deep litter method with the dirt floor. The sliding glass door was free and I figured it would be excellent for light while also filling my door need. The door faces the morning sun and the lower back is towards the heaviest of our wind storms and weather. I used 2x8s for my rafters since I wanting a full 6" of ventilation across the 10' span. Based on the info I've read, 1sqft of ventilation is required for every 10 sqft of floor space. I have roughly 80 sqft of floor so the rafter ventilation of 10 sqft (.5'x10'x2(front and back)) should be more than enough. Then my side windows will just be added gravy in the summer and I can close them up in the winter should I choose. All rafter vents and windows will be lined with 1/2" hardware cloth and eventually I'll also run hardware cloth around the perimeter sunk in the ground.

We will be free ranging our 15 chickens during the day with the dogs helping to protect them, unless predators prove to be too much an inconvenience.

Just thought I'd share since this site has given me so much valuable knowledge!

Looks really good. How large is the coop? We will be building a 8x12 sometime soon. Im talking DH into the 10x12 idea.
smile.png

Quote:
This one is 8x10. Should be good for our 15 birds, and accommodate up to 20 comfortably. If we get more chicken sickness than that, I guess I'll have to turn this into a shed and build a bigger coop
lol.png

Wanted to get the roof shingled tonight. I got as far as the felt paper before changing my mind on how I want to do the side drip edges. With the revamped idea needing different materials, I got the other half of the sliding glass door in place and started messing with the wheels. The door isn't exactly the right one for the frame (hence why it was free), but it'll work out once I'm done
cool.png

DSC08331Medium.jpg

The door is wider than it should be by a few inches. I'm thinking of doing some decorative wood piece on the front to hide the gap and make it look more like a double door. I'll just have to play around with it and see what works. Will also be gluing a piece of wood onto the glass right behind the weather stripping of the stationary piece to recreate the weather seal.

DSC08333Medium.jpg

Our little friends are getting more feathers every day
big_smile.png

DSC08336Medium.jpg

DSC08338Medium.jpg

DSC08343Medium.jpg

Quote:
This one is 8x10. Should be good for our 15 birds, and accommodate up to 20 comfortably. If we get more chicken sickness than that, I guess I'll have to turn this into a shed and build a bigger coop
lol.png

Oh no. You can't turn it into a shed! What you do is--build a bigger coop and get more chickens...and have TWO coops!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom