Weening help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Garnerbarn, May 9, 2016.

1. Garnerbarn

Garnerbarn New Egg

May 9, 2016
    I have two goats, a Nubian and Nigerian 7 weeks

They have been bottle fed and I am a first time mom to goats. They seem so dependent on their milk I worry when it is time to ween that they won't have enough to eat. I have introduced them to grain and hay. They love the grain but I'm scared of bloat. I have hung oak branches all over their area to graze but they really love their milk. I go to work every day and don't want the Nubian "Bill" screaming all day. Help?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are big young to wean quite yet. I start cutting back on feedings at eight weeks, as they get more hungry they will eat more hay. I always picked fresh grass for mine if they didn't have access to pasture. There will be yelling. I then start to replace the bottle content with water, eventually they are just drinking water and interest in the bottle starts to wane. I try to wean at around 10-12 weeks. Keep the grain amount low, but a good goat ration for growing kids can help. Them goat kids can sure make you feel guilty about weaning, they are big babies. The best chance for a long healthy life for a goat is good rumen development, which comes from eating hay and grass early. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by