Weighing birds

I use a kitchen/produce scale that reads to 10lbs for growing birds. Do the stand on a scale with bird in hand thing for grown birds. Of course the produce scale works exceedingly well for grown birds after they are butchered.

Exact scale I use from Walmart for under $15. I like the removable metal dish for ease of cleaning.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Market-Scale-Black/35854697

k2-_3371883d-b074-490c-8280-d9c04ff555c0.v1.jpg

This is cheap and works well enough for what you are needing. Used in the past for exactly this purpose!

I need to weigh my broilers for our fair. Any idea where to get a RELIABLE fishing scale or any other method for weighing?

We tried the house scale thing, but were frustrated because we couldn't get a very accurate weight. So, I found something called a American Weigh Scale H-110 on Amazon for $9.95. We used it to weigh our heritage meat birds last year and it worked great! The only downside was that the battery that was in it when it arrived ran out before we started to weigh them, so I had to run to the store for a fully charged new one (didn't cost much).

The trick with it is to get some sort of bag to put the chicken in that will hang on the scale's hook. We used a cloth bag that some of our kids toys fit into and then held the scale in one hand and put the bird/bag on the scale. Scale converts to metric or standard, and has a backlit digital readout.

Back
Top Bottom