weird behavior please help .

neilgal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
Las Vegas
One of the chickens is looking so weak during her moult .
The other chickens saw it and took advantage over her situation and they pecking on her all the time.
Now she just sitting in the coop all day she afraid to go outside not even for food or drink. I tried to force her to go out with the rest of them under my watch she just froze in one spot and after few minutes she run back to the coop and hide.
I'm feeding her separately and let her rome in the yard by her self during day time.
but it's breaking my hart to see her like that.
I don't know what to do any more.
If any of you had to deal with a situation like this before. please help!

The poor little thing! I don't know what the right thing to do is but if it was me I'd probably seperate her from them and work on getting her stength/ feathers back. Once she was in good shape again try to sneak her back in with them during the middle of the night.... Hopefully you'll get an expert on here giving you some tips though!

Separate her, maybe give her some yogurt or scrambled eggs for some additional protein

Our smallest hen kept getting attacked by the other hybrids so once she recovered in isolation, we put her in with the cochins who leave her alone. Do you have a hutch or something you can keep her in?

Although you're feeding her separately, if she can't access food and water 24/7 it probably won't be providing her body with essential nutrients to grow her feathers back properly.

If you absolutely can't keep her separately from the other hens then are you able to leave more food and water containers around so she can get to food whenever she needs to?

Can you provide plenty of hiding places in the pen so she has somewhere to hide, like wood leaning against the walls giving dark places for her to go if necessary?

Can you give the other hens things to keep them occupied, like a bale of hay to scratch through in their pen, corn on the cob hanging off string (or something similar) or roosts/branches for them to climb over?

Are the other hens eating her feathers or just picking on her? Maybe they all need a good protein boost. What are you currently feeding them?

In a perfect works I think you really need to remove her and give her a chance to properly recover. She should be kept somewhere she always has access to shelter and clean food and water. The ricketts diet is definitely a good pick me up. Good luck
big_smile.png

Thanks everyone.
I do separate her from the other during the day time and snick her in at night. I and make sure she have plenty of food and clean water I treat her with meat and hi protein.
She have enough hiding place in the coop but I like her to rome around in the sun I think it's good for her. Anyway it look that she retrieve some strength yesterday so I brought her near the fence by the other and she was terrified and froze, poor little thing .
Well obviously she's not strong enough but at list she eat good and slowly getting there.
By the way I took her worst attacker and separate her too from the other hopefully she will chill a little.
I just made sure that during the separation they can see each other. Not sure if it's necessary or not but i think I've read somewhere about it.

Back
Top Bottom