Weird bug EVERYWHERE in and around coop

kimntep

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Ocala, Florida
I didn't take a pic..they look a little like a stink bug, but not really. I thought Squash Bug, but there's no vegitation at all in or around the coop and yard. The coop is about 8x10 and these suckers are hanging on the rafters inside and out and give me the creeps. I haven't stuck around long enough to see if they fly. They are 2/3" or so long, all the same size (probably 50 of them at least right now) and grayish to black in color. What are they and how do I get rid of them?? Sent son out to take pics.

Demon WP kills every bug, including spiders. Sevin kills most bugs. DE cuts down on them, but not all, especially fire ants. All should be safe around chickens.

You are in Florida, too. It could be just about anything.

Last edited:
74804_gabs_110.jpg

74804_gabs_111.jpg

74804_gabs_112.jpg

Squash Bugs?? There's at least 100 in and around the outside of the coop and it's so hot and dry..why are they here?? How do I get rid of them??

Look like a type of stink bug. Squish one. You'll know by smell.

See my above post for good bug killers.

Heck, if you have ant/roach spray, could use that in a pinch.

SHOP VAC - you can suck them all up, no squish, no smell. Will the chickens eat them? Check your state's dept of natural resources for a website that may identify local bugs.

I like the shop vac idea, but won't they crawl out?? I read online that they can be suffocated if sprayed with thinned-down dish soap..maybe I'll give it a shot. Do they fly?? Yes, I'm a wimp and I do not like bugs on me!

They probably do fly. The diluted dish soap might kill them if you can get enough on them before they fly off.

You could shop vac them and take them way away from coop and dump them out. I prefer to kill them outright.

Daughter just came in and said they're all over the front of our house, too. What draws them in, anyone??? I've seen a stink bug/squash bug or two, but this is ridiculous!

Back
Top Bottom