Weird bulge under hen's cloaca?

HutchButch

Chirping
Jul 27, 2023
I was putting the flock back in their hutch for the night and noticed a bulge similar to the one in this thread but under the cloaca of one of my hens. It doesn't seem to hurt her when touched or pressed and it's very soft. What is this? Should I be concerned? She's only about 10 weeks old. Pics below.

2023-10-11-20-28-29-938_1.jpg

2023-10-11-20-29-08-404_1.jpg

2023-10-11-20-29-17-570_1.jpg

Yes, I would be concerned. It looks like it might be prolapse, so I would start with a warm (quail body temp or a bit warmer) epsom salt bath. Once it's completely clean, see how it looks, and maybe post some more pics.

Yes, I would be concerned. It looks like it might be prolapse, so I would start with a warm (quail body temp or a bit warmer) epsom salt bath. Once it's completely clean, see how it looks, and maybe post some more pics.
She still has the prolapse. Tried an epsom salt bath for a few minutes. I could clearly see her innards winding around just inside her skin. Tried pushing it back in, but it would pop right back out. Should I hold it in for awhile? Should I leave her be? She's in solitary in the bathroom tub with food and water. I'm concerned she'll die overnight.

Let her walk around in her epsom salt bath for 20 minutes or so. You could contact a vet, but if you're raising for meat and eggs, I would cull.
What will the epsom salt bath do?

As for the vet, that's more effort than I'm willing to put in. She's not a pet, and I don't really have an emotional attachment to her. Do you think she's in pain?

What will the epsom salt bath do?

As for the vet, that's more effort than I'm willing to put in. She's not a pet, and I don't really have an emotional attachment to her. Do you think she's in pain?
The epsom salt bath reduces swelling, which will sometimes let the prolapse collapse back into where it belongs. It can also help an egg bound hen.

I imagine that she is suffering. Unless the prolapse can be fixed, she is likely to get an infection and die in a very painful way.

Back
Top Bottom