Weird Chick Noise...Any Idea What it Means?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hokankai, May 24, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    So I have a 2 week old silkie in a hospital tank who is sneezing. I can't tell if she has rales or not, but if she does it's very minor.

Anyway, she has kind of stopped peeping...and instead makes a kind of cackle sound most of the time. It basically sounds like a choppy chirp, like breaking one long peep into 4 short ones. She does it all the time, especially when I take her out and hold her. Any idea what it means? She peeps sometimes, but it's mostly this sound lately...

2. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Anybody? Anybody else's chicks make this sound?

3. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Maybe she's a roo? Several BYCers have mentioned their roos trying to crow very early, making strange pre-crowing sounds as early as 2 weeks old, though most of them are older. I don't suppose you could get a recording of it, perhaps put a video up on YouTube?

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Is it like a trill? Trilling is chicken version of "man I'm sleepy/comfy"

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Possibly a respitory infection? My maple sounded very hoarse when she had a RI for about 2 weeks. Her chirping was very scratching sounds.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  6. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    It was kind of like a trill I guess, but more of a distressed sound rather than a content sound. It's kind of hard to explain, maybe I'll try to get a video of her doing it when I get home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by