Weird Combs on Chickens

To me it looks like slight frostbite on the rooster - he may not even lose that part of the comb. The hen looks like possible healing comb damage. I'd be tempted to apply antibiotic ointment to her comb.

Attachments

• B1FF4E9D-522A-4C29-846D-6629ACC1E7B0.jpeg
    B1FF4E9D-522A-4C29-846D-6629ACC1E7B0.jpeg
    662.5 KB · Views: 2
  • ABD3A837-1B47-49A0-B6F8-6DD93AA2326E.jpeg
    ABD3A837-1B47-49A0-B6F8-6DD93AA2326E.jpeg
    629.3 KB · Views: 3
  • AEAC8146-7D9A-4D4A-A395-04087156C977.jpeg
    AEAC8146-7D9A-4D4A-A395-04087156C977.jpeg
    585.8 KB · Views: 2
This is as close as I could get with my camera being in focus. Poor girl was NOT happy. 😂
She has a single comb, right? And just has a large bump/swelling on the side of it?

It doesn't look like frostbite... Hard to say what caused the initial lump, but it looks like it's getting pecked at. The white could just be dry skin, but since I'm seeing little white specks all over her face I'm thinking she could have a fungal issue called favus which it treatable with an antifungal cream (like Monistat) applied twice a day.

She also possibly has a lesion/plaque under her tongue from what I can see in the second picture?

She has a single comb, right? And just has a large bump/swelling on the side of it?

It doesn't look like frostbite... Hard to say what caused the initial lump, but it looks like it's getting pecked at. The white could just be dry skin, but since I'm seeing little white specks all over her face I'm thinking she could have a fungal issue called favus which it treatable with an antifungal cream (like Monistat) applied twice a day.

She also possibly has a lesion/plaque under her tongue from what I can see in the second picture?
She does have a single comb. So an anti fungal cream will do the trick? And what should I do about her tongue? I didn’t see it, but I’m still new and learning, so I don’t know what to look for yet.

And what should I do about her tongue? I didn’t see it, but I’m still new and learning, so I don’t know what to look for yet.
In the picture you took with her mouth open there is a little whitish spot visible just inside her lower beak which is what I'm concerned about. If you've got her secure on your lap (wrapped in a towel or something) you can get her to open her beak so you can inspect her more closely by holding the top of her comb near her beak in one hand and gently pulling on her wattles with the other. A normal mouth will look like this (minus the syringe 😄):
cover-image

But if you see any white or yellow patches like below something is off.
images

So an anti fungal cream will do the trick?
I can't say for sure she has favus... It's normally a white chalky coat on the comb and wattles. A bad case looks like this:
1673901509516.jpeg

I don't think it could hurt to treat for favus and see if there is improvement. Cleaning the affected area with iodine once a day is another way to treat favus so you could try that (being careful not to get any in her eyes) as the iodine might be a better treatment for the scab than an antifungal cream.

I can't say for sure she has favus... It's normally a white chalky coat on the comb and wattles. A bad case looks like this:
View attachment 3377152

I don't think it could hurt to treat for favus and see if there is improvement. Cleaning the affected area with iodine once a day is another way to treat favus so you could try that (being careful not to get any in her eyes) as the iodine might be a better treatment for the scab than an antifungal cream.
Thank you! I’ll look in her mouth tomorrow and try that. I’ll let you all know how it goes. I’m so grateful for your help. I may be new, but I love these birds like my children already😆

Back
Top Bottom