Weird Dark Spots on Yolks

kgallego

Chirping
Jan 13, 2020
Does anyone know what this is? I see these little tiny dark speckles on the yolks of about 30% of my eggs. Mostly in French Black Copper Marans eggs and occasionally in some of my brown egg layers (Cochins, Orpington, Wyandottes).

Let’s rule out the obvious - it’s not blood. Also, I’ve changed feed 3 times and still get the same results - so rule that one out also.

My suspicion is that it is potentially iron from my soil.?.?.?.? I do know that if I run a magnet through the dirt, lots of little rocks stick to the magnet, so it must be high in iron, but would this make it to the egg yolk???? Any expert insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• F89B49A8-B896-4DBB-84FF-621F30BCA81F.jpeg
    F89B49A8-B896-4DBB-84FF-621F30BCA81F.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 41
Does anyone know what this is? I see these little tiny dark speckles on the yolks of about 30% of my eggs. Mostly in French Black Copper Marans eggs and occasionally in some of my brown egg layers (Cochins, Orpington, Wyandottes).

Let’s rule out the obvious - it’s not blood. Also, I’ve changed feed 3 times and still get the same results - so rule that one out also.

My suspicion is that it is potentially iron from my soil.?.?.?.? I do know that if I run a magnet through the dirt, lots of little rocks stick to the magnet, so it must be high in iron, but would this make it to the egg yolk???? Any expert insight would be appreciated.
hm..........

Let’s rule out the obvious - it’s not blood.
It may not be actual blood, but I think those speckles are still called "blood spots."

If it is a deposit of iron, it should stick to a magnet. Stick a magnet to it.
It may not be actual blood, but I think those speckles are still called "blood spots."
After some further research, it appears that they are “Meat Spots” which come from blood vessels bursting in the egg process. New one for me ;) thanks for the responses.

Coincidentally my Marans eggs always have these and they've gotten worse as she gets older. I know that it's possible with any breed but is it more prevalent in dark brown egg layers? Or is it an individual bird thing completely?

I should also note that she has egg shell quality issues as well. She's 17 months old.

Coincidentally my Marans eggs always have these and they've gotten worse as she gets older. I know that it's possible with any breed but is it more prevalent in dark brown egg layers? Or is it an individual bird thing completely?

It's individual. Some birds are more prone to meat/blood spots in eggs. My Buff Orp consistently had meat spots in her eggs, about 90-95%, so we never hard boiled her eggs and most of them got used for baking or scrambling.

After some further research, it appears that they are “Meat Spots” which come from blood vessels bursting in the egg process.
No, those are blood spots, they are not always bright red.
Meat spots are from tiny pieces of tissue breaking loose from inside the reproductive tract,
they can be various colors, but usually beige/tan.

Back
Top Bottom