Weird Duck "pools"

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
Ive seen different ideas for back yard duck pools from those of us who dont have ponds.

So, what do you use?

Feel free to show us pictures of your cool water habitats for our feathers friends! Whether it be a man made pond, stream, kiddie pool, or something else, share it!

Im tired of all the little kiddie pools and having to clean and fresh water them almost everyday. I saw a bath tub for sale at Lowes for $40, so i might try that.

Well, I don't have a picture of mine, but I'll try to explain it.

You know those big white plastic tanks used for hauling water? My husband cut one of them in half and that's our duck pond.

We use big cattle tanks--maybe eight feet across. My husband made the drain plug bigger and ran that same black tubing that people use on downspouts to direct the flow of dirty water out of their pen--keeping the aviary dry. It drains fast and then when it is empty enough I just turn the handle like a faucet and the valve shuts it again. I am able to drain it weekly all year long and it stays relatively clean. I put goldfish in the tank and the birds dive for them. I just use the little fish from the bait s and when I drain it I leave some water at the bottom of the tank so the fish dont all get drained out by accident. There is a tree next to the tank that I have attached a Mandarin nest to in an attempt to make it seem more natural for them. It also has a ramp going down to the water for those ducks that were pinioned. You can see a little of it on my Mandarin page, but I will go out tomorrow and take pics. I run three heaters on the biggest tank to keep it going all winter and have a permanent ramp for those fat geese that cant fly out. The tank is enclosed in a big outdoor aviary that connects to the barn. They can go in and out at their will and range all over the farm during the day. They are only shut in if the weather is horrible and at night. It isnt the fanciest thing, but they love it. It is deep and wide enough for them to really play in and in the spring--it helps fertility for my fat geese who cant do the "job" on land.
wink.png
We also have a big farm pond that they waddle down to until it freezes. When mating season comes each breed gets their own pool. During the winter though, they have to share a couple.

Back
Top Bottom