Weird dust bathing and pecking at bedtime

DallasLoneStar

Chirping
May 21, 2019
Dallas, TX
one of my girls was making a ruckus tonight at bed time. She was furiously dust bathing and pecking like crazy into the sand/pdz/poop mix on my poop board below the roosts. It looked like she was trying to break up the dried poop and was eating it. It was so gross! I tried to stop her but she wouldn’t stop so I just closed up the coop and went inside. Any idea why she would be doing this?!

Yes they do have lots of places (the run is sand, and they have a kiddie pool dust bath with sand, peat moss, and a little DE. They have been laying for a couple months. I saw her doing the same thing this evening when I closed them up for the night.

No molting yet. They hatched in March. They are fed later pellets. Occasional snacks include BOSS, dried mealworms, kale, and pecking through my flower beds when I let them. They all lay almost every day. This one (well 50/50 chance since there is another EE) laid a sort of weird egg today. Very light but intense blue and sort of mottled. Usually they are a little larger and green. I check fairly often for lice / mites but it’s been several days. Thanks for the feedback !

could have lice/mites
Cold be she's lacking something in diet for some reason
could be just about anything including she flipped her wig

I would start with the first one though as would be my first one to check for, I know your down south so have they molted or still need to?
@Texas Kiki

No molting yet. They hatched in March. They are fed later pellets. Occasional snacks include BOSS, dried mealworms, kale, and pecking through my flower beds when I let them. They all lay almost every day. This one (well 50/50 chance since there is another EE) Laos a sort of weird egg today. Very light blue and sort of mottled. Usually they are a little larger and green. I check fairly often for lice / mites but it’s been several days. Thanks for the feedback !
color can be affected by something they ate too, my hens actually get weird with their eggs a week or 2 before they molt but I'm up north.

Back
Top Bottom