Weird egg and lethargic duck

austroberta

Songster
5 Years
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
My 2 year old Welsh Harlequin, Selah, laid a very odd egg. It was a soft shelled egg with a strange, tail of an empty egg attached. The more normal egg had everything inside (yolk and white), so thankfully I did not see trailing yolk. It also had a hole in the end from which the stringy egg seemed to be attached. Selah had been off all morning, looking lethargic and totally uninterested in doing any foraging. I knew she was off when I was digging a hole and she wasn't johnny on the spot, trying to get at whatever I was digging. At first I thought she was spooked, as 2 different contractors had come by to look at a washer. They left and she was still really off. Not eating anything but the worms I gave her.

I also noticed that during the day she was walking obliquely, as if she was putting her body weight on one side. I examined her foot and didn't see anything off except for a tiny bit of warmth compared to her other foot, which was cold. We did soak her feet in epsom salt, but I don't think her lethargy is due to any foot pain. She's like a mountain goat and likes to get on top of things, so we had feet issues with her before. Even when she has had limps, she'll still run to get some treats and foraging.

I was hoping once she laid that egg, that she would be raring to go, but she still seems a bit off.

Her poops look like clear liquid, but I think that's because she hasn't been eating much of anything. I don't see any white urates or much of anything else.

I plan on giving her a calcium citrate pill and a dropper of nutri drench tonight when she goes to bed. Other than that, does anyone have advice/perspective?

Attachments

• selah egg II.jpg
    selah egg II.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 9
  • selah egg.jpg
    selah egg.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 5
Forgot to mention that she has been laying normal eggs previously and is a great layer in general, but we have been concerned about eggs in general because of the oyster shell scarcity in the market. We've been giving everyone eggshells supplemented with the occasional Calcium citrate pill when eggshells looked to be heading towards the thin side. We did come across a bag of 'oyster shell' but it seems to be a mix of tumbled clam shell mixed with the odd oyster shell here and there. She is really good about gobbling down the egg shells/shells we give her.

She's much better now. Apparently getting that egg out was a big relief. She was lethargic for about an hour after I wrote the posting and then after I gave her a few worms, she was foraging again and right as rain. I'll be giving her a calcium citrate pill from now on.

I would like to know what caused that strange tail on the egg.

I thought she had laid her egg this morning, although it was in a strange place, but apparently not. If I thought she might be having an egg issue, I would have given her a warm bath and a Tums, thus avoiding all her discomfort today.

Usually takes them a while to recover from those weird ones like that. Hopefully it was just a fluke. I have no idea why they will lay something like that unless stressed or ill. Glad to hear she is doing good today.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
She's doing great this morning. So great that she managed to get on one of my raised beds to forage that I had Selah-proofed.

Just out of curiosity, could that weird, oblique walking have something to do with her egg troubles? As in the egg was pushing on on one side and she was leaning to alleviate the pressure?

Probably so. They can walk like a penguin when about to lay or are egg bound, and I would think just like us ladies who have given birth when in labor we move around to help minimize the pain.

She's much better now. Apparently getting that egg out was a big relief. She was lethargic for about an hour after I wrote the posting and then after I gave her a few worms, she was foraging again and right as rain. I'll be giving her a calcium citrate pill from now on.
Glad to hear that she is doing better.

Back
Top Bottom