Weird egg laying spot and soft shell eggs

Laura516

Chirping
Apr 19, 2020
Hi! So one of my pullets started laying a couple weeks ago. A couple issues... She still hasn't started laying in the henbox... She lays all over including the poop deck! She's had three double yolk eggs. Now all of a sudden 3 days in a row she's layed these deflated soft shell eggs on the poop deck. I have made oyster shell available and plan on gradually switching from chick feed to layer feed. Any other suggestions? Any reason this is all of a sudden happening? Thanks!

Not all unusual for a new layer.
What breed is she?
Is she eating the OS...how are you providing it??
Might sprinkle some around on the ground and a few pieces on top of the feed.

Any fake eggs in the nests?
Are nests easy to access for her, any birds been checking them out?

I'd try getting her on layer feed as soon as possible. We've always switched food a few weeks before they were predicted to begin laying.

As far as getting her into the nest, put in a fake egg or golf ball to give her an idea. Try coaxing her with some bread crumbs or treat to get into the nest. Hopefully, she'll eventually get the idea! Best of luck!

I have slowly switched to layer feed and I do think it's decreasing the amount of weird soft shell eggs. It's so weird she is my only one that has this problem. She also is the only one that still hasn't found the hen box 😒. I have had a golf ball in there and all the other hens lay in there!

Thanks for the info!! No rooster here.. We had a lovely one for awhile but gave him away as we didn't have the space he needed and my kiddos who like to help are very little (1-6), and I didn't want any incidents. I never switched my previous batch of hens because I had a mix of layers and chicks, and they always did fine. Now I have all layers so I went ahead and switched.

Back
Top Bottom