Weird egg/thing ? in my nesting box

Mamavila

Hatching
Jun 15, 2022
Not sure what this is. Found this in my nesting box this morning. All my chickens are acting okay, they’ve been laying a little less since their molt and it being winter. I haven’t noticed any weird behavior from any of them. What could this be?

Attachments

• IMG_9996.jpeg
    IMG_9996.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9995.jpeg
    IMG_9995.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9997.jpeg
    IMG_9997.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 9
It could be lash egg material, a result of salpingitis, common in some hens over 2-3 years. It would help if you cut it in half and take a picture.
Yes lets see those insides! That does look like the lash egg that I found in my coop about 3 weeks ago. About 4 days later, poor Jeanette died. Most likely to put it simple, your hen has an infection in her oviduct. There's really nothing you can do.

Antibiotics can help with the bacterial form. Nothing you can do if it's viral. So give her antibiotics and hope it's the former. Survival rate is low, sorry for that news, but fingers crossed.

It could be lash egg material, a result of salpingitis, common in some hens over 2-3 years. It would help if you cut it in half and take a picture. Does she still lay eggs? Is she standing more upright or with her tail down?
My hens will Be 2 years in May and June. I have 11, so I’ve been trying to sit out in the yard with them to see who may be walking funny or not acting right. They all free range during the day on 2 1/2 acres, but will come when I call them and hangout for a little while. Egg production has been down over all since their molt and it being winter and unusually cooler here in Florida. I wasn’t able to cut it in half, my husband threw it out and garbage went out this morning 😞.
So far they all seem to be walking, running normal. Will keep updating.

Yes lets see those insides! That does look like the lash egg that I found in my coop about 3 weeks ago. About 4 days later, poor Jeanette died. Most likely to put it simple, your hen has an infection in her oviduct. There's really nothing you can do.
Husband already threw out the garbage and picked up this morning😩. I’ll keep updating but right now all 11 hens seem to be walking/running normal. They free range on 2 1/2 acres but come when callled.

Husband already threw out the garbage and picked up this morning😩. I’ll keep updating but right now all 11 hens seem to be walking/running normal. They free range on 2 1/2 acres but come when callled.
Keep watching them - sometimes thye act ok at first but they can get sick suddenly.

Back
Top Bottom