Weird egg!

WillowChick

Songster
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
New Sarepta, Alberta, Canada
Ok so our 22 week old black cochin bantam (Phantom) has laid about 10 eggs, all 1.25 - 1.3oz, all perfectly smooth peachy and clean, all in the nest box and almost 1 a day (she skipped 2 or 3 days). Then we find this nasty dirty egg near the entrance to the coop, covered in poo and weighing 1.55oz. (No idea how long it's been there)

We have 3 15-16 week old standard girls in the coop as well, could this be one of their eggs??? Or is this a variation of our bantam's egg?? It's a lot longer than the others and the color is also wrong, more pale coffee than peach.

The one in the middle is the mystery egg.

These are our "normal" eggs

What do you all think???

Willow

The standards are a little young to be laying yet, but not impossible. And it is possible that the bantam did lay an off spec egg, new layers do that too. So without knowing what breed the standards are and/or seeing a picture of them I'm not going to guess.

I have pictures! I hope they help!

Here is Phantom the bantam

This is Olive, one of the standards... She's 1/2 Ameraucana

And the last choice is Pumpkin, also 1/2 Ameraucana

Thanks for responding to my post! I'd love to hear your opinion...

Willow

Ok so our 22 week old black cochin bantam (Phantom) has laid about 10 eggs, all 1.25 - 1.3oz, all perfectly smooth peachy and clean, all in the nest box and almost 1 a day (she skipped 2 or 3 days). Then we find this nasty dirty egg near the entrance to the coop, covered in poo and weighing 1.55oz. (No idea how long it's been there)

We have 3 15-16 week old standard girls in the coop as well, could this be one of their eggs??? Or is this a variation of our bantam's egg?? It's a lot longer than the others and the color is also wrong, more pale coffee than peach.

The one in the middle is the mystery egg.

These are our "normal" eggs

What do you all think???

Willow

It could just be an off egg as mentioned in prior post since your chicken is new to laying. Did you check inside the odd egg and see if was a double yolker?

When my girls first started laying, the eggs weren't consistent in size, shape, or coloring. I'd get several that looked the same and then a speckled one. Most would be the same shape and then would come a slender, pointy one. One of my girls would throw in a huge double-yolker every once in a while.

I think it's probably the same pullet and that her eggs will become more normalized as she progresses.

Let us know if it's a double-yolk!

Looking at the pullets I would say they have a few more weeks to go before they lay. Maybe after the winter solstice when the days start to get longer. So I'm going with the bantam laying an off egg.

It was a DOUBLE YOLK! Poor Phantom! It was delicious though!!!
droolin.gif

Thanks so much guys!!!

Back
Top Bottom