Weird eggs!

Mandi M

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2020
Syracuse NY
Hi All!

I have been getting some funky looking eggs lately. One of them is kind of bumpy which I thought indicated a need for more calcium but they have oyster shells and the other is just an odd shape. Any ideas?

Pictures attached!
20200713_154404.jpg
20200713_154429.jpg

Mine just would not eat the oyster shells. I don't know why. In the main feeder I have all flock(I have 4 week old babies). I set up some layer feed to where only the big girls can reach. The big girls are usually eating from the layer feed. I have to refill it everyday.

I get some very rough sandpaper feel eggs every now and again..... and also some shells that have wrinkles in them.

will be following this thread to see if anyone has the answers...

How old are these birds?
Are they eating the OS?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Did the funky eggs just start or.....?
Are you getting any 'good' eggs from other birds?
Sorry for all the Q's @Mandi M , but, I don't want to just guess wildly.....
...oh, and....here's one more.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1594726021769.png

Hi!

They are eating layer crumble and I honestly am not sure if they are eating the OS or not, I put a small bowl of it out for them.

Also age is hard, because I am not sure whixh ones are layinf the weird eggs. I have some that are 4 months all the way up to about 3 years. I don't think my younger ones have started laying yet and I am getting normal eggs from the rest of my flock.

Hi!

They are eating layer crumble and I honestly am not sure if they are eating the OS or not, I put a small bowl of it out for them.

Also age is hard, because I am not sure whixh ones are layinf the weird eggs. I have some that are 4 months all the way up to about 3 years. I don't think my younger ones have started laying yet and I am getting normal eggs from the rest of my flock.
I would guess those eggs are from your older birds.
Might be ramping down production to molt, can get some funky eggs around molt time.

I would guess those eggs are from your older birds.
Might be ramping down production to molt, can get some funky eggs around molt time.
@aart would that included coming out of moult too? as thats the stage mine are at... im in the southern hemisphere so we are coming to the end of winter here.

@aart would that included coming out of moult too? as thats the stage mine are at... im in the southern hemisphere so we are coming to the end of winter here.
Yeppers.....did they molt well in the fall?
Are you using any supplemental lighting?
As the days get longer and they come back into lay, also a time for 'startup glitches'.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1594765172720.png

Back
Top Bottom