Weird eye colors

Mar 29, 2023
I have a month old chick with green eyes, but his parents’ eyes are that darkish-orange color that appears in quite a few chickens. Why is this?

All standard chicken breeds have reddish bay (which is orange), red, brown, black, or pearl eyes.
But I have an Arabian Trumpeter pigeon that is supposed to have black eyes but he has green eyes instead, lol.
6DA8FC24-CD72-410F-8AA4-FE10EE8975A9.jpeg
Green eyes are rare in pigeons but they exist. I’ve never once heard of green eyes in chickens though. I’ve seen yellow and pink. The eyes can turn a greenish grey if they have Mareks disease, but that’s not something to be desired, of course.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/green-eyes.491129/
I did some digging and I did find a thread, though.
The best bet if you wanted to get green eyes would probably to get a mixed breed (not bred for eye color) or maybe a Cornish or Oriental Gamefowl which are bred for pearl eyes, which might scatter light combined with melanin.

All standard chicken breeds have reddish bay (which is orange), red, brown, black, or pearl eyes.
But I have an Arabian Trumpeter pigeon that is supposed to have black eyes but he has green eyes instead, lol. View attachment 3526277Green eyes are rare in pigeons but they exist. I’ve never once heard of green eyes in chickens though. I’ve seen yellow and pink. The eyes can turn a greenish grey if they have Mareks disease, but that’s not something to be desired, of course.
Hmm weird. I had a salmon faverolle chicken with one green eye and one orange eye.

This is her orange eye
B2736D14-CB46-401C-BD82-5B64A3A15FD7.png

And this is her green eye
0C089A7D-74DC-490F-954F-ED9FF4F5261F.png

I wish I had a clearer picture, but sadly about a week ago we lost her to a fox.

Back
Top Bottom