Weird Feathers

thewatsonfarm

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2015
Orange County, California
20170619_212355.jpg

Buttercup's feathers seem strange to me. She's a light Brahma. The shafts of her feathers is more prominent than the rest of the feather. I feel like they look sort of ratty. Is there a problem here or am I over-reacting?

I think there's some sort of mite that eats feathers. I'm a novice, sorry. Someone else will be able to help, but maybe also google? They do look odd to me.

View attachment 1048119

Buttercup's feathers seem strange to me. She's a light Brahma. The shafts of her feathers is more prominent than the rest of the feather. I feel like they look sort of ratty. Is there a problem here or am I over-reacting?
How old is she?
When did she last molt?
Did you use a wormer around the time she molted, if so what brand?

How old is she?
When did she last molt?
Did you use a wormer around the time she molted, if so what brand?

She is just over three years old. She molted last year in August, as I recall. Seems like my girls molt a little earlier every year. Is that a thing? I haven't seen any stray white feathers yet, but maybe this is in anticipation of molting?

I have never used a wormer. I don't even know what that is. I knew to give them extra protein, but that's all I've ever done special during molting. Will you please enlighten me? Thank you so much!

Did the feathers grow in like this after she molted last august?
Have her feathers always looked like this?
What do you feed, regularly and during a molt?
Are the other birds like this too?

There's a wormer that can cause weird feather growth if given during a molt,
is why I asked

Back
Top Bottom