Weird feathers

sophieharkins

Chirping
Jul 8, 2017
Good afternoon! My pekin was attacked by a dog about a month ago. She’s healing great. But if you look at the pics I attached, her new feathers growing over her wound are nice and white and soft but her old feathers on her wings look like she’s not preening and they are brown. Why is that? Is it possible her oil gland was damaged in the dog attack? I ask because she doesn’t seem waterproof anymore either. What can I do to help her?

Attachments

• CEF0C10F-8EDB-47DD-857D-F9CC75BC1C2D.jpeg
    CEF0C10F-8EDB-47DD-857D-F9CC75BC1C2D.jpeg
    510.5 KB · Views: 15
  • B8CF2A14-3DE3-43A6-9ED1-68D5C3DDA2D5.jpeg
    B8CF2A14-3DE3-43A6-9ED1-68D5C3DDA2D5.jpeg
    881.2 KB · Views: 12
I am not an expert but I would advise checking her uropygial gland (little lump on the top, base of the tail) for swelling, scarring, redness or any other signs of abnormal activity. Is she otherwise acting normal/healthy? What is her diet currently? (some deficiencies can cause malfunctions in the Uropygial gland). It is hard to tell completely from photos but it seems that no feathers are poking through the skin in that one spot. Is it healing okay right there?

I am not an expert but I would advise checking her uropygial gland (little lump on the top, base of the tail) for swelling, scarring, redness or any other signs of abnormal activity. Is she otherwise acting normal/healthy? What is her diet currently? (some deficiencies can cause malfunctions in the Uropygial gland). It is hard to tell completely from photos but it seems that no feathers are poking through the skin in that one spot. Is it healing okay right there?
I will check in a minute. Her diet is Dumor laying feed with a probiotic supplement and she also eats some crushed oyster shells. She’s acting fine, very loud and loves to run around and flap her wings

Back
Top Bottom