Weird first egg at exactly 18 weeks

Any of those feeds can work. Just make sure that you have the calcium available on the side. When switching from feed #1 to feed #2, it is best to mix them together for a while so they get used to the new taste.

Sounds like you had a shell-less egg. It happens. I'd only be concerned on the 2nd and worried by the 3rd such egg. Laying off the roost can even happen (rarely) when they are established.
Ok, I'll keep mixing it. They stared at the oyster shells like it's from outer space.
Now I just wish I knew who my first egg came from!

I never thought to preserve it. After I'm done parading it around and showing it off, I think I'll let them have it. Although I still don't know who is the one laying!
I recommend cooking it first, just as a precaution. Chickens do love eating eggs regardless.

I regularly gave my young chicks some egg yolk. It is the perfect food for young chickens as it has all of the nutrients necessary to develop their bodies. Whites are also fine, but are basically just a protein and water mixture to absorb shocks while the young bird develops.

I'm up to four little good eggs now. :) I think just one is laying so far but the stinkers never lay when I'm home! :) She started using the nesting boxes. I love how different each egg looks.

I think you have different layers. While eggs from one hen do vary a little, in size and shape, they tend to be pretty stable in color (except in the instance where dark "chocolate" layers tend to lay lighter in the season. I'm seeing some light shades and darker shades, so I think you've got more than one layer.

LofMc

I think you have different layers. While eggs from one hen do vary a little, in size and shape, they tend to be pretty stable in color (except in the instance where dark "chocolate" layers tend to lay lighter in the season. I'm seeing some light shades and darker shades, so I think you've got more than one layer.

LofMc
You were right. I have two layers. I was able to see it in action today! It was so much quicker than I expected.

Egg shells are a very good substitute or addition to oyster shell as a calcium supplement.

I used to only use hard boiled (cooked) shells, but I was convinced by others that wasn't important. I now use any clean shell. Just let them sit a day or two to dry out and then crush them (though some don't even do that). I don't want to take the chance on having them associate larger shell pieces with their own eggs and get into egg-eating. Both chicken shells and oyster shells are beneficial to layers.

Back
Top Bottom