Weird growth on beak?

Sep 16, 2020
I'm sure there's a thread in here about weird beak growths, but it's been awhile since I've been on here and had chicken issues---but I know where to go when I need answers! šŸ˜
It appears my pullet is growing a horn out of her beak?!
It looks like maybe there was a small bit of damage and it left a bit of a hole that this thing is now growing out of--anyone else ever seen this and is it a cause of concern?

Attachments

• PXL_20230111_195705325.jpg
    PXL_20230111_195705325.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20230111_195907068.jpg
    PXL_20230111_195907068.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 12
It appears to be a classic cutaneous horn. It's probably non-cancerous, but some are caused by sun damage and can be cancerous. People can get these, too, and once I saw a photo of a woman with one growing on her forehead.

How old is your chicken? What is your location? These often occur in very sunny climates and often high altitude magnifies sun damage.

It appears to be a classic cutaneous horn. It's probably non-cancerous, but some are caused by sun damage and can be cancerous. People can get these, too, and once I saw a photo of a woman with one growing on her forehead.

How old is your chicken? What is your location? These often occur in very sunny climates and often high altitude magnifies sun damage.
My flock (all Sapphire Gems, Sapphire Splash, and Lavender Orpington pullets) is going on 17 weeks; she's the only one like that. We're in central Arkansas so not really anything that could be considered high altitude or a relatively sunny climate Half of their run is shaded and they have full access to the hen houses.
Is there anything to consider as far as care of this? Leave as is and continue to monitor? I sure appreciate your response and taking a look at her!

I wouldn't mess with it. You might measure it so that you will be able to tell if it increases in size. Mark on your calendar to measure it once a month for a while to see if it's growing and by how much.

I'm surprised it's growing on such a young bird. Time will tell if this is something that will interfere in her life. It's an interesting case. Please keep updating this thread.

I wouldn't mess with it. You might measure it so that you will be able to tell if it increases in size. Mark on your calendar to measure it once a month for a while to see if it's growing and by how much.

I'm surprised it's growing on such a young bird. Time will tell if this is something that will interfere in her life. It's an interesting case. Please keep updating this thread.
I will definitely leave it be and stick with the monitor+measure approach.
I did find a few other threads about this same issue on here but things seemed to go unanswered and dropped off. Will make a nice research project!

We think alike. Too often, people posting here do so to ask one question, get an answer, and then they disappear and the thread gets abandoned. What they do not realize is that each thread can help ten, twenty, or even hundreds of other people doing an internet search on a similar issue. An updated thread can contain information rivaling some lab research projects.

I will be looking forward to your updates.

Just a quick update on uni-chicken. Just saw that she's not got much left of her horn now so I'm not sure if it got pecked off by another pullet. They've all just started laying within few days of each other and have been quite the rowdy bunch, squawking and running after each other.
Stay tuned; I'll update again in a few weeks as to whether it's grown back or stopped growing. šŸ˜

Attachments

• PXL_20230117_200101659.jpg
    PXL_20230117_200101659.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom