Most times I never know exactly what is going on with a very sick chicken until a necropsy can be done after death. Mine have always been done at home. There are good videos of vet necropsies where the organs are labeled, and you can post pictures here for advice and opinions. First though, I make sure the crop is emptying after not eating through the night. Weird neck movements can be crop-related or may be a neurological symptom. I worm chickens to make sure that a crop issue is not a problem. Poops can give some clues of general health. If they refuse food and water, that is a big problem. I coax them and baby them, but I usually do not tube feed. But you can do that if necessary. Some use antibiotics when nothing else helps, but that may not be helpful if there is an egg laying problem. I have lost quite a few at your hen’s age. Sorry for the loss of the others. I hope that you can save your hen, but it doesn’t look hopeful.

She was just suddenly with a dark purple face comb and wattles and i brougt her inside. The phone diesnt do the color justice at all. It is actually the same color as a dead chicken usually is. The youtube link is her weird beak and neck thing she does. Maybe someone will recognise any symptoms. I don’t think she has long but i still need anwsers. Also noticed, none of her poops have got ureates in them anymore

Hi! This chicken is STILLLL alive.. even lighter weighing and now she seems to be “stargazing”.. i have given vitamin water for two weeks but instead the symptoms are worse. But still alive. Cmon…. Somebody has to know what this is… im upset seeing her trying so hard to do everything chickens love doing but being so tired and losing balance and shaking and just struggling to be normal… im so confused….. i just want to help her. She isnt acting like a typical dying chicken who goes and sits somewhere and dies… she isnt giving up so its something else. She has done antibiotics, vitamins, worming … most of the time she hangs around with one and the same eye wide open and other eye lookinng tired and half closed…

Stargazing, a.k.a. Wry Neck is a neurological Symptom - common causes are Marek's disease, nutritional/vitamin deficiency, head/neck trauma.

Sometimes vitamin therapy will help relieve the symptom.
Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex tablet daily along with egg to help with the uptake of E.
Just pull on the beak and give the vitamins orally.

Vitamins in water are o.k., but usually it's a diluted amount is dependent on the bird drinking the correct amount. Giving the vitamins directly ensures the bird is getting what they need.

Back
Top Bottom