Weird hen behavior

chickiegrrl

Chirping
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Monticello, MN
OK, so today my Buff Orp, 18 weeks, started squatting (yay!). I noticed while she was out free ranging that she would occasionally stop what she was doing, sort of semi-squat, and her vent would get very pinkish-red and visible. She would do it for a couple of seconds, 10-15, then she would go back to normal picking/scratching/being curious. She's done this a few times today. Is she close to laying? My Australorp has been squatting for a week and hasn't had this behavior. I just want to make sure this isn't a sign of anything wrong. Otherwise she's totally great, eating, drinking, looks good.

Thank you for your reply! So, that's ok even though we don't have a roo? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but this is all new to us. It's like, you finally think you've got this chick-thing figured out and they start getting ready to lay. Throws a wrench in the status quo.
gig.gif

Last edited:
Mine are 19..to 20 weeks and doing the same things...they also make louder and more noise....lots or errrrr errrrrr errrrring...(pre egg song) and a egg song..BAWK BAWK BAWK BEGACWWWK...I THINK WE are close to ding ding ding...order up....EGGS

Yeah its ok I just read a post where the top hen can sometimes mount the other hens...and Roos don't have boys parts..
no twig and berries its just a quick vent to vent kiss.kinda strange huh

Sound like she's a teenager and has got that special feeling...LOL...IV read that they have all this hormonal stuff going on and lets face it I don't think their old buddy's sat down and told them about the birds and the bee...ha ha ...I'd just watch and see..she should get it all worked out...I'm a newbie too and learning more everyday fromBYC

Mine are 19..to 20 weeks and doing the same things...they also make louder and more noise....lots or errrrr errrrrr errrrring...(pre egg song) and a egg song..BAWK BAWK BAWK BEGACWWWK...I THINK WE are close to ding ding ding...order up....EGGS
Mine are all doing the errrrr....errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....errrrrr thing. Sounds like crazy dinosaur screeching! We don't have the full egg song yet, but the RIR is doing the LOUD bawk, bawk, bawk, bawk when you come out of the house toward the coop/run.

All of the egg signs are driving my 13 yo daughter crazy. She's checking the nest 4-5x/day. I told her that a watched hen won't lay. She said she doesn't want to miss an egg.
D.gif

My 18 mth old hens do the same thing I don't think it means that there going to lay they might just get tired or wanna just lay down. I hope that I helped u with your flock I'm bbishop;)

Well I'm just passing on what IV experienced and info IV read that other people post...check out HEN SQUATTING..
its between one to two weeks for most....I'm dying of anticipating my first egg

Back
Top Bottom