weird hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dan_grow, Jan 3, 2011.

1. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    my top hens been acting weird shes been fighting way more causing other hens to squat when ever she attacks them and if i even walk by her and my other hens start squatting this all happened after moving them to a new coop a few days ago? i also removed their roo about a week or so ago but this behaver didn't occur until i moved the hens to the new coop.
    [​IMG]
    this is her (a long time ago before she started laying eggs maybe half a year ago)

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

You said it. New Coop. She's showing the others that she's in charge at the new place.

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    sounds like they may be unsure of the new coop, maybe they are scared of their new surroundings. I know when I first put my hens in their coop they were very scared and I had to put a night light in for the first few weeks, of course, I keep the night light because it now makes me feel better that they can see in the dark, go figure, spoiled chickens!

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

They squat for you because you are the head roo/boss.

They squat for your head hen, because she is second in command.

5. meekasmom

meekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Elkhart, IN
    I wondered why my hens squat when I reach for them. So. . .I'm in charge. Great!

6. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    oh that make sense im in charge cool. my dad just told me that my hens wee just freaks so i got worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by