Weird Jerking Movements? 🤷‍♀️ Video Included

J2AKChickens

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2023
Hello, I saw one of our hens in her coop tonight and I'm not sure what's going on, we saw her making this strange jerking movement with her neck and kind of "bouncing", we were watching her from the window and I stopped to record it, but can't seem to upload it. We do currently have another hen who isn't doing well and we're not sure what's wrong with her either, she's lethargic and fluffed up, we have separated her and are giving Corrid and electrolytes to see if that helps, so far no improvement. I'm hoping this isn't a sign our flock is sick. They haven't been out to free roam the last two weeks due to bad weather. They have a 10 x 10 coop with a 10 x 20 foot run. They are given fresh water and feed daily. We keep their coop and run cleaned out. I've you're familiar with a chicken acting like the one in the video please let me know and if there is something we need to be doing. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Hello, I saw one of our hens in her coop tonight and I'm not sure what's going on, we saw her making this strange jerking movement with her neck and kind of "bouncing", we were watching her from the window and I stopped to record it, but can't seem to upload it. We do currently have another hen who isn't doing well and we're not sure what's wrong with her either, she's lethargic and fluffed up, we have separated her and are giving Corrid and electrolytes to see if that helps, so far no improvement. I'm hoping this isn't a sign our flock is sick. They haven't been out to free roam the last two weeks due to bad weather. They have a 10 x 10 coop with a 10 x 20 foot run. They are given fresh water and feed daily. We keep their coop and run cleaned out. I've you're familiar with a chicken acting like the one in the video please let me know and if there is something we need to be doing. Thank you so much.

There's a couple reasons chickens do this.
1. Adjusting their crop.

2. An attempt to clear a blockage.

First is a more common occurence. Second one as well.

If she's trying to clear a blockage, then that's a good early sign of an impacted crop.

We do currently have another hen who isn't doing well and we're not sure what's wrong with her either, she's lethargic and fluffed up, we have separated her and are giving Corrid and electrolytes to see if that helps, so far no improvement.
In the video, she's adjusting her crop. If she's just gone to roost and has a full crop, this action can be common.
Check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it's emptied overnight. Be sure to check it before she's had anything to eat/drink.
IF the crop has not emptied, then determine what the crop feels like and treat this symptom according to the article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The other hen that's not doing well. What's her poop like? Photos?
When was the last time the hen laid an egg?
Have you checked for lice/mites?

I would not give electrolytes with Corid.
Corid is to treat Coccidiosis only, it has no antibiotic properties.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

There's a couple reasons chickens do this.
1. Adjusting their crop.

2. An attempt to clear a blockage.

First is a more common occurence. Second one as well.

If she's trying to clear a blockage, then that's a good early sign of an impacted crop.
MysteryChicken, what would you say is the best way to tell if it's an impacted crop? We haven't dealt with that before. We feed Lonestar Layer Crumble, crushed red pepper flakes, and have oyster shell available as needed. They get fresh water daily. Is there any thing else we can do to help her?

MysteryChicken, what would you say is the best way to tell if it's an impacted crop? We haven't dealt with that before. We feed Lonestar Layer Crumble, crushed red pepper flakes, and have oyster shell available as needed. They get fresh water daily. Is there any thing else we can do to help her?
@Wyorp Rock, has already gave instructions for this.

Back
Top Bottom