Weird Leg injury? Or is it a disease?

LazyGirl

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 29, 2007
Hi. I've posted a couple threads about this barred rock hen I had. A week ago, I could have sworn I noticed nothing peculiar about any of the hens. My son picked one up and I thought that it was the one he picked up that suddenly started limping badly. She limped immediately into the coop where she stayed for several days. After about 3 days, the others started to peck at her wattles behind her ears. I finally took her to a vet in case she had something contagious.

She was bloody from being pecked on but also had bloody fluid coming from her ear. He took a swab and said she had an infection, which he gave me antibiotics for. He also said her left leg was tender and swollen but nothing broken or dislocated.

She has been contained by herself so they don't get to her and so we can throw out her medicated eggs. She eats and lays fine.

HOWEVER, she still is not walking at all! She can scoot along on her "knees" or hocks whatever. She balances by flapping.

ANY ADVICE?????

Our chickens are not really pets so I don't intend to spend $$$ lots, but I would just like to know if this sounds familiar and if there is anything else I can do, or just let nature take its course. She just finished the antibiotic and her wattles are no longer swollen, but now i can feel food in her crop!

I don't think feeling food in her crop is bad. There's always food in my girls' crops. Shoud be very little in the morining,tho.
As for not being able to walk, I don't know. I'm hoping some one will come along that can help you. Feel so bad for the poor girl!

Good to know about the crop. I guess I don't usually pick up the chickens so I didn't know how it is supposed to feel!
hmm.png
Thanks!

What antibiotic were you given? I posted a reply in your other thread that I thought it might be fowl cholera (which would also explain the leg problem)
Hopefully the antibiotic will be effective for that as well.... an avian vet that does not specialize in chickens might not have considered the possibility of fowl cholera.

ETA: In addition to the info I gave in your other thread , here is additional info regarding treatment measures/medication for fowl cholera:
www.lahinternational.com/pdf/Avian_Insight_VOL1-2002.pdf
".... Treatment of fowl cholera has changed very little in recent years. Traditionally,tetracyclines and sulfonamides were themost effective products available. Penicillin, which some P. multocidaisolates are very sensitive to, can be very effective in some cases. It is important to check for penicillin susceptibility on all P.multocida isolates, particularly those that do not respond clinically to tetracyclines and sulfonamides. Today, enrofloxacin is sometimes used to treat fowl cholera. It ismuch more effective than sulfonamides,tetracyclines or penicillin.
In summary, fowl cholera continues to be a serious health problem in the poultry industry. Various strategies are available for its control by vaccination and treatment. Unfortunately, vaccination and treatment will not eliminate fowl cholera where the operation is heavily contaminated with P. multocida. It has been correctly stated that, “You can’t vaccinate your way out of a fowl cholera problem.” Vaccines are effective, but of equal, or perhaps greater, importance is rodent control......"

Last edited:
Thanks For the info, dlhunicorn. I think he gave me Cipro for the infection. I am not sure what he all checked for, I just know he took a swab of the fluid and was able to tell. He's the only poultry vet in the area. I did go to the link you sent me last time, and that's why I took her in. Although the only thing in common was the leg problem. And everyone else is fine. I will look into it more though. Would Cholera cripple her for life, or just while she has it? Thanks again!
Oh, I just check the Rx bottle, and it says "Baytiel"(?) for the drug. Do you know what that is?
Never mind...I just looked it up and it was exactly what you suggested, "enrofloxacin". So that should take care of it? She still can't walk, but maybe it's permanently crippling.

Last edited:
yea on the Baytril (yes that is enrofloxacin) ... should take care of it then. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom