1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird Nighttime Panic

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by escere, Feb 13, 2015.

1. escere

escere New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    We have this hen. She's a buff cochin. I think she's maybe a year and a half old and we've had her since she was a chick. She does, well, a lot of weird stuff at dusk. One, she tends to wait on the porch in hopes of getting put away. If it get's dark, she goes and roosts on top of the coop, and I have to put her inside so I can close it up. Those are all fine.

However, once inside the coop, she won't stay on the roosts (even if put on them) and inside, jumps down and paces at the front of the coop and loudly clucks for maybe half an hour. She only stops if someone goes out to the coop. Now, I'm a bit worried the neighbors will complain about our loud little chicken and I was wondering if people have had similar problems.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Has she always done this or is it a new behavior?
    Is there plenty of room on the roosts for all the chickens?
    She may be low hen and have a hard time getting a roosting spot?

3. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Is she a lone hen? Or do you have other chickens and she's the only one doing these odd behaviors?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by